Why Cell Phones Should Not be Allowed in a School Setting | Teen Ink

Why Cell Phones Should Not be Allowed in a School Setting

By notquitesoancient BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
notquitesoancient BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

In this modern world everyone has a cellphone. By 2010 seventy-five percent of twelve to seventeen year olds owned mobile phones and in the past two years that number has increased (Ludden). Recently, the use of cell phones for cheating on tests, a new method of passing notes, and even cyber bullying have become major issues. Brevard County already has strict policies regarding phone use in schools, if caught with a cell phone students get a referral, their phone is confiscated, and after repeat offenses they can lose their phone privileges (Student/Parent Contract). But are these rules strict enough? If fifty-four percent of students admit to using phones in schools where similar rules are in place, they obviously are not (Ludden). For the good of the students cellphones need to be banned from schools.

What would you rather go a week without; your cellphone or your toothbrush? Forty percent of iPhone users answered toothbrush to this question (Ludden). As a society we are addicted to our cell phones and students are by far the worst offenders sending more texts a day than any other age group, an average of three hundred and thirty-three per month in 2010 (Watters). When the dismissal bell rings at just about any school you are sure to witness dozens of students whipping out their phones almost instantaneously. “If you can’t go six hours without your phone, you’re addicted,” says Diane Phillips, 2011’s Brevard County Teacher of the Year, at the 2011-2012 Brevard Future Educators conference when speaking about the distractions of phones while studying (Philips). It would be beneficial not only to the education of students but to their health as well to separate them from their phones for the time that they are at school. A study by Gaby Badre shows that teenagers who use their phones constantly often experience “increased restlessness with more careless lifestyles, more consumption of stimulating beverages, difficulty in falling asleep and disruptive sleep, and more susceptibility to stress and fatigue.” (Excessive Mobile Phone Use Affects Sleep) Many people who use cell phones too much also experience headaches and even a phantom ringing sound distracting them and keeping them awake at night. (Braff)

Health effects aside, it is well know that texting in class has become a growing epidemic. When students are allowed to have their phones with them in class, many will take this as an opportunity to use them. This leads to disruptions in class, bullying, and even cheating on tests. (Cohen) There has also been some discussion on whether texting effects spelling and writing in the classroom setting. If students are texting in class, “computer talk” can affect their grades. In a survey on edutopia, fifty-four percent of people found that texting was having an effect on the writing habits of young people. (Watters)

One of the most common reason that parents like their kids to keep their phones with them at school is so that in the case of an emergency, their kids can call them. However, in an emergency situation, cellphones can sometimes create as many problems as they solve. Phone systems are only designed to take so many signals at once and too many signals can cause the system to crash. Take the recent earthquake in Virginia for example; as many people hurried to call their friends and family the cell and landline systems were down for up to an hour. For a short time this created mass panic and people thought cell towers and telephone poles were knocked down by the earthquake. In the case of an emergency like this it could render the school’s phone system useless if hundreds of kids start making calls all at once. (Rush) Not only can cell phones escalate emergencies in school they can even cause them, students have been known to call in bomb threats in order to get out of class. Last year Jefferson had a bomb threat, the entire school was evacuated and the hazmat team had to search the school. All of that started because of a post on Facebook by a disgruntled student who didn’t want to go to school that day. If a student has their phone on at school when a classmate or teacher makes them angry they could make a post like this; sending the school into a frantic state of emergency. Although the student would later be expelled for the bomb threat but if phones weren’t allowed in the first place cases like this could be prevented, saving valuable class time.

Allowing cell phones in school is a danger to the health and education of students. Banning cell phones is in the best interest of everyone; it will help student’s grades, separate them from the negative effects for a few hours, and it helps the school to keep students safe in an emergency, and even prevent bomb threats. Schools have the power to help prevent all of these things cell phones can cause by simply banning them from their campus.

An arcticle for a school debate, if you would like to see the other side of the debate it is posted by Rosseata (did I spell that right?).

angelle94 said...
Hello,
I'm hoping to use your poem for a school project, it's a podcast. I have to read your poem to be recorded for the podcast and I was wonder if I could know you actual name so I can cite you, to give you, your credit for your work.

Juni said...
Thanks alot. This actually helped me alot during a debate we had in our class today. Your points actually made children who bought their phones for inappropriate uses to stop bringing them. Our teacher also spread this around our school and it's been a success. Noone ever bothered to bring their phone. Thanks alot once again.

jvseph.h BRONZE, Plaquemine, LA, Louisiana
I respectfully disagree with your opinion on bringing and having cellphones at school. I know there are bad sides to bring and using phones on school grounds but,I think students should be allowed to have them on campus. Not all students are using them to cheat on test, or to cyberbully other students. At my school we are allowed to have phones and , not once this year has one case been recorded about another student using their phone to bully another student but, hey thats just my school;yours maybe diffrent so, i understand your article. Good Writing!

chrisil said...
chrisil,
a story for student should not be allowed to use cell fones in school

yo_hunna1 said...
Wow Ryla this is amazing!!!

deepthi SILVER said...
deepthi SILVER, Karur, Other
I believe that u are using your mobile in a right way.But you cannot expect the same mentality from everybody.so my opinion is that students should not be allowed to use cell phones inside the class.

N.R.Anon PLATINUM, Ayer, Massachusetts

"Don't be like so many writers, don't be like so many thousands of people who call themselves writers." (Charles Bukowski, So You Want to be a Writer)

Thank you! I once had a girl in my class who asked if she could use her phone to listen to music on our final exam- Phones are definitely a problem.

Campbell Holmes, Marietta, Georgia
I guess I agree with some of these things, but we are allowed to use our phones at my school, and noone does any of this stuff. I would be really sad if I didn't have my phone at school with me all day.

Balomew BRONZE said...
Balomew BRONZE, Union, Maine

I am stronger than this challenge, and this challenge will make me even stronger.

It's a similar case at my high school. Cell-phones are allowed if the student wishes to take a picture of the board or add assignments into a personal calendar. Cheating has never been an issue at my high school. However, I've found that cell phones are a great disruption and that most students literally seem attached to their cell phones to the point of a rather obsessive behavior. I almost wonder if this is affecting their (horrible) attitudes. When class begins, I believe that cell phones should be taken from students and hidden in a protected area so they can't reclaim it (or ask the teacher a annoying amount of times if they can have it back.. some kids I've seen have tried to snatch it back themselves).

Balomew BRONZE said...
Balomew BRONZE, Union, Maine

(Nathan) It's the same here for me. Phones are allowed in my high school, but not in class if the teacher requests for you to put it away. In the end, it falls upon the teacher to control this behavior. Most teachers, I believe, aren't strict enough about it.. but that's just my opinion.

Balomew BRONZE said...
Balomew BRONZE, Union, Maine

I'm definitely not addicted to my cell phone. I use it in school, but only to contact my parents for a good reason. I care more about education than socialization. So the beginning of your article did nothing but irritate me slightly. When it came to the topic of cyber-bullying, however, I found myself reading with more interest. It's not particularly on cellphones that cyber-bullying is found - it's all over the internet. Cyber-bullying is not just limited to cell-phones. Many students use their cell-phones a lot in school. It is a distraction, but I believe that they are not used to cheat. I believe that this distraction should be removed from a school setting. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed reading your article, as I enjoy learning the opinions of others. However, my opinions differ greatly from yours, and I would appreciate it if you took my comment into consideration. Thanks.

shilpapotter said...
I luvd it. !!!

Shilpapotter said...
It's OSM..!!

chahat arora said...
Nice,it helped me Thanks

moosita said...
i think the poem is very inspirational!

jude said...
I love your ideas knowledge and I love you Sarah

mmdriggle BRONZE, Norwood, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I love it I hope you can get published good luck

Mobian said...
I'd like to point out one major flaw in this article: it conveniently ignores home usage of cell phones. Most of these health effects won't be lessened by people not using their phones during school hours.

Nathan Hauke BRONZE, Int'l Falls, Minnesota
My school allows phones in the school, but not in classes without the teachers permission. We started doing it this year and so far it's been great! I can see where problems would and will come up eventually.

Mobian said...
Well... that's constructive