Lutheranism | Teen Ink

Lutheranism

April 22, 2012
By Anna-Akua SILVER, Taunton, Massachusetts
Anna-Akua SILVER, Taunton, Massachusetts
9 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
But the funny thing about it is I ain't even start yet
I'm only using my mind I ain't even use my heart yet
I just evolved I ain't speaking theoretically
-Keys "Dear Dummy"


Lutheranism is a branch from Christianity. It is based on the beliefs and principles of Martin Luther, a German monk who took part in the Reformation movement. This movement started within Western Christianity. Many Roman Catholic Church members opposed the medieval practices the church engaged in. They believed that the church didn’t follow the Bible’s New Testament and abused the law of the Bible on their own terms. This led to a rift between the Roman Catholic Church and the reformers who came to be called Protestants (http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations/lutheranism.htm).

Martin Luther noticed that the beliefs of the Church and the Bible contradicted each other. He realized the corruption and biblical abuse the Church engaged in and fought to reform it. By the 17th century, Luther’s ideas had spread throughout Germany, Europe, and the United States (http://christianity.about.com/od/lutherandenomination/a/lutheranhistory.htm). As Lutheranism spread, so did the religion’s beliefs and ideas. Their idea of educational institutions grew on the American people, but ideas on homosexuality and sexism were frowned upon and spat on.

Many religions condemned homosexuality as “sinful” and “a manifestation of Lust”, but as society changed so did religious views and critical judgment. Some Lutherans didn’t acknowledge homosexuality but other Lutherans welcomed the sexual orientation with open arms. Their difference in opinion led to controversy between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS) (http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality/comparison_chart.htm). An intense feud started between the two churches, causing feelings of hate and confusion among the members. How could two churches with identical beliefs argue over different ideas? The practical difference for a Lutheran is not belief but the variety of ideas.


The author's comments:
This was a short paper my history teacher made me write about Lutheranism.