If Gatsby Were a Girl | Teen Ink

If Gatsby Were a Girl

March 14, 2012
By flexiballetgirl GOLD, Windsor, Massachusetts
flexiballetgirl GOLD, Windsor, Massachusetts
15 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed.
Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style.

~ Fred Astaire


You know how it goes. Your English teacher pulls a stack of books off the shelf; everyone groans another book that no one wants to read. Well, if that book happens to be Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby”, you’re in luck. “The Great Gatsby” is a book that almost all teen girls can relate to.

Jay Gatsby, the main character, wanted more then anything to fit in with the New York socialites of his time. He spent his hard earned money on things that would make him look rich. Sound familiar? More than likely, you are thinking about those designer-looking earrings or that knock off bag in your closet. You aren’t that different than Gatsby, but he has fake books instead of sunglasses.

Jay Gatsby was also awkward. He was considered “new money” and was still getting his bearings during the story. Not all of us are born popular. High school itself seems to be seasoned in bringing out ones awkwardness. Not only are you faced with tons of new situations, but you are surrounded by people who appear to know what they are doing, all the time.

Where did Gatsby get his money? He was from humble beginnings but worked his way to the top through organized crime. Gatsby’s participation in these illegal activities to gain popularity isn’t so far fetched, is it? Don’t try and tell yourself that you haven’t “been a rebel” at least a few times. The ideas of rebellion and being “above the law” are nothing new in the teenage mindset.

Prom. Boyfriends. Weddings. Growing old, in a rocking chair, over looking the sea with your husband of 52 years by your side. Let’s face it. Almost all teen girls are hopeless romantics. So was Gatsby. He worked for years to gain the attention of a girl he met once. He changed his whole way of life and was heart broken when she couldn’t say that she only ever loved him. Gatsby is the epitome of a self-destructive, yet, starry-eyed lover.

If you are still weary, The Great Gatsby’s setting seals the deal. Set in the 1920s, the story might as well be set in a modern high school. The characters are “sketchy” and fake and the parties are full of secrets, with gossip flying in every direction. You never know if anyone is telling the truth.

A time of new cars, short dresses, and smoky air. Whether the Roaring Twenties or today’s high school, “The Great Gatsby” shows a glimpse into a type of life we know all too well.