Hatshepsut | Teen Ink

Hatshepsut

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Hatshepsut, a woman acknowledged to be the most successful female Pharaoh in Egyptian history, was born in 1508 BCE. Her father was the Pharaoh Thothmes I and her mother was his Chief Royal Wife Aahmose. She had a younger half-brother named Thothmes II, who as the only surviving male offspring of the Pharaoh, should have inherited the throne.

Historians speculate that Hatshepsut had a co-regency with her father during the last few years of his reign, meaning Thothmes was grooming his daughter for the title of Pharaoh, rather than his son. In Hatshepsut’s own tomb is an inscription where her father declared her his heir: “This daughter of mine Khnum-Amun Hatshepsut—may she live!—I have appointed as my successor upon my throne…she shall direct the people in every sphere of the palace; it is she indeed who will lead you. Obey her words, unite yourselves at her command.”

After her father’s death, Hatshepsut began to adopt many titles traditionally held by males and dropped titles that could only be held by women. Amun’s Oracle had pronounced it was the god’s will Hatshepsut become Pharaoh, therefore helping legitimize her claim to the throne. Hatshepsut began to appear in male clothes; she wore the shendyt kilt, the nemes headdress with its uraeus, khat head cloth and false beard. Despite this attempt to legitimize becoming the first female Pharaoh, Hatshepsut was forced to marry Thothmes II and he became Pharaoh instead. Tradition stated that the women in the royal family held the power that legitimized the Pharaohs and Hatshepsut was the only surviving female member of the royal family, so she and Thothmes had to marry.

Thothmes and Hatshepsut had two daughters, Neferura and Merytre-Hatshepsut. Thothmes’ only male heir was Thothmes III, his child by one of his lesser wives, Aset. Thothmes II died shortly after his son’s birth, leaving Hatshepsut the most powerful person in Egypt. She declared herself regent of Thothmes III and in all but name, became the Pharaoh because of Thothmes’ young age. Later, as Thothmes III reached manhood, Hatshepsut dropped all pretences and declared herself Pharaoh circa 1479 BCE.

Hatshepsut’s reign is usually assigned a length of twenty years. Historical records dispute the length of her reign, so there is no way of knowing exactly how long she actually ruled. While historians cannot agree on the length of her reign, they can generally agree on her achievements.

After becoming Pharaoh, Hatshepsut ordered many building projects, some new and some carrying on her father’s unfinished works. Her first independent building projects were two obelisks that were cut at Aswan and raised at Karnak. These were later vandalized during the reign of Thothmes III, who seemed to want to erase all records of his aunt. At Karnak, the religious capital of Egypt, she ordered many temples restored, thus ensuring the favour of the priesthood. She ordered a new tomb built for herself (her first tomb had been smaller, built for her before she was queen) while married to Thothmes II in the Valley of the Kings, but it was never completed. After this tomb was abandoned, she began work at Deir el-Bahri on her famous mortuary temple.

Her mortuary temple was built on an even older site, that of Mentuhotep I’s mortuary temple from the 11th Dynasty. This site has many inscriptions chronicling her reign, but these too were vandalized after her death. Some of the inscriptions refer to military activity, but Hatshepsut was known as a peaceful queen, so these were likely small skirmishes along the borders of Egypt.

On the walls of her tomb, there is also a depiction of her expedition to the land of Punt (probably modern day Somalia). Punt had many things Egyptians desired: myrrh, frankincense, wood, sweet-smelling resin, ivory, spices, gold, ebony and aromatic trees. When the expedition returned laden with tribute, Hatshepsut herself led a procession to the temple of Amun, where inscriptions stated that the god himself and the goddess Hathor guided the expedition. Sacrifices were made and tributes from Punt were transferred to the temple as thanks to Amun for the safe return of her ambassadors.

One of the reasons Hatshepsut’s reign was so successful was the fact that she elevated people to positions of power based on competence rather than birth. One of her most trusted officials was Senmut. Senmut was born a lowly peasant, but slowly rose to power under her rule. During this time, he acquired 40 titles, including the illustrious title of Chief Architect. Senmut was also the man who oversaw the education of Hatshepsut’s eldest daughter, Neferura, and many statues found in his tomb include him holding Neferura protectively. Some historians speculate he was Hatshepsut’s lover (thus explaining his quick rise to power and his role as protector of Neferura), but there is no evidence that can conclusively prove or disprove this theory. Senmut disappeared from all historical records between Year 16 and Year 19 of Hatshepsut’s reign. His mummy was never found and both tombs he built for himself are empty.

There is evidence that Hatshepsut wanted her daughter Neferura to begin a line of female Pharaohs because many titles bestowed on her eldest daughter were those Hatshepsut held herself as a young girl. But this plan was thwarted when Neferura died at a young age. Mertyre-Hatshepsut, her youngest daughter, expressed little interest in ruling as Pharaoh and would later marry her half-brother Thothmes III.

As soon as Thothmes III ascended the throne, Hatshepsut disappeared from all historical records. No one is sure if she was murdered, died or simply retired from politics to let her daughter and nephew rule in peace. But looking at how hard Hatshepsut fought to rule in the first place, the only way Thothmes III would rule was if she was dead. Whether or not she was killed or died of natural causes, we probably will never know.

Hatshepsut ranks not only among the best female Pharaohs, but among the best Pharaohs in Egypt’s long history. Egypt prospered under her rule and her numerous building projects are the reason she is so well remembered. Even though her nephew Thothmes III tried to erase her memory from all records, her mortuary temple and other tombs from the era tell her story. Hatshepsut, the woman Pharaoh, lives on.

This is an essay I did for English.

redjay said...
I am doing a research about hatshepsut and the facts I got were great now I just need the date of this article published.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  Hatshepsut was quite the woman, wasn't she?

LittleDreamer BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
Hatshepshut is one of my favorite figures of history. Wonderful article. :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I'm glad you learned something more. :)

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I had read of Hatshepsut before reading your article, but I never actually knew what she accomplished during her reign. So kudos to your research~ loved your article.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I'm glad you learned something. :)

hmm..... well all have to say is wow cause i never even knew there was a female pharoh haha and very informative this article is splendid :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much!

Steph0804 GOLD said...
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

This is really informative, and the language makes it easy to understand, yet engaging. Good job! Love your fiction, too! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

bieberisawesome: Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it.

bieberisawesome, Wesfield, Massachusetts

when life comes at you doge it with curiosity:)

i rated it with five stars it was great:):):):):)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

House of Dreams by Pauline Gedge is a book review.  But that's great if you could read my novel. :)  I hope you enjoy my parody!

BreeTayler PLATINUM, Carlisle, Arkansas

"Where there is love there is life." --Ghandi

Well that makes sense:) haha I couldn't find the last article that you had asked for feedback on... It's not on your page? And if it is, I must have over looked it thousands of times :/

Btw, since you already know I'm a huge fan of your dry humor, I'm planning on reading your novel! The parody of Romea and Juliet!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Well, Cleopatra isn't exactly my favourite Pharaoh.  She just happened to appear in the History of Rome podcast I listen to and I decided it would make a good story.  My favourite Pharaoh is Hatshepsut, actually.

My real passion is the 18th Dynasty of Egypt.  It captured my imagination by accident, actually.  Last year I got 'The Twice Born' by Pauline Gedge for Christmas (my mother picked it up at the book store because it looked interesting) and it enchanted me.  Pauline Gedge is an amazing writer.

Ancient Egypt was one of the greatest ancient civilizations, in my opinion.  They had complex religion, culture, burial rights, language, etc.  It just appeals to me.  :)

Thanks for commenting!

BreeTayler PLATINUM, Carlisle, Arkansas

I'm just curious... What exactly is your fascination on this subject? What do you find so interesting in this particular period of time? You make it very interesting and very fascinating... But how did this come about? Not this essay, it was assigned lol I mean the others... About Cleopatra... I am genuinely curious. But wonderful job lol as always:)))

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!

CallMeMrs.Batman SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to our friends."
-Professor Dumbledore to Harry Potter
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
-Unknown

Great job! Very imformative! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks MorenSore! :)

MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton

You made a topic i probably wouldn't have bothered to read, very interesting.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Yes, she was.  :)  Thanks for commenting!