Why People Should Care About Sexism | Teen Ink

Why People Should Care About Sexism

By PiperaBedortha BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
PiperaBedortha BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon

According to Human Rights Careers, ¨For centuries, girls have lacked educational opportunities. In the past inequality was widespread and restricted most girls from attending primary school, universities, and other educational institutions. The belief was that women should be wives and mothers, not scholars or professionals. Education access has significantly improved.¨ ¨According to the 2020 Global Gender Gap Report, 88% of females worldwide had primary education. That's still lower than boys, whose percentage is at 91%. Millions of girls are still unable to attend school.¨ Some people might say sexism is not important but people should care about sexism because it affects people's mental health, your livelihood, and body image.

One example why people should care about sexism is because it affects your mental health. Sexism can cause poor mental health. The reason is because telling someone to be more ladylike or talking down based on assumptions about their gender can decrease someone's self-esteem. This can lead to disorders such as PTSD, depression, and eating disorders. Having an eating disorder can make you gain or lose an excessive amount of weight. Having depression can make you feel hopeless, helpless, tearful, and guilty. It can also be hard to get motivation and could be difficult to be happy.  Sexism can also increase stress levels which can cause 

Anxiety and depression. According to Frontiersin.org, ¨Men have higher self-esteem and subjective well being than women, especially in areas with high gender equality.¨ To me this shows that women already have low self-esteem and that some women have to go through catcalling, verbal insults, or abuse.

Another example is that sexism can affect your livelihood. According to UNICEF, ¨girls become exposed to the possibility of child marriage, teenage pregnancy, child domestic work, poor education and health, sexual abuse, and expoitation violence.¨ There are many ways that sexism can affect your livelihood. If  Women have the same job as a man they still get paid less than their male colleagues. And according to The Hechinger Report, ¨Women now comprise nearly 60 percent of universities and colleges and men just over 40 percent.¨ According to the European Institute for Gender Equality, ¨when men are present in a team, women are evaluated as less competent, less influential, and less likely to have played a leadership role. In addition, while men might receive a status boost when voicing ideas in the workplace, women might not.¨ To me this show that people like taking men's side then womens side. I think this because they have a big voice and most of the time its men speaking. 

My third example why people should care about sexism is because it can mess with your  body image. According to GoodTherapy, adhering to society's unrealistic and often varied models of the ideal woman makes it difficult for women to fine and accept their own identities and bodies.¨ this shows that sometime women have hard times liking their own body and if men or people in general are saying thing about it or just being Sexist it could make it harder and difficult. Or just having depression, anxiety, or even an eating disorder can make it hard to like their own body. According to womenshealth.gov, ¨A healthy body image means you feel                comfortable in your body and you feel good about the way you look. This includes what you think and feel about your appearance and how you judge your own self-worth. A negative body image can put you at higher risk of certain mental health conditions, such as eating disorders and depression.¨ This just shows you what it means to have a good body image and a not so good body image.Some people may say that sexism doesn't play a big role in our society but most women in our society have to deal with sexism.

In conclusion,  people should care about sexism because it affects your mental health, livelihood, and body image. It would be nice if people weren't discrimination, prejudiced, or stereotyped based on gender or if people did think that women are meant to be wives or mothers. And I would be nice if women got paid the same as their male colleagues. 

I wrote this piece because i think that its important for young people to be aware of sexism and the way women are treated. And aware how sexism can affect women's mental health, their livelihood, and body image.