Passions | Teen Ink

Passions

By NoraJo BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
NoraJo BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon

Have you ever felt passionate about anything, but the activity needed more money? I do, the Oregon City girls lacrosse team doesn't have enough money, for various things. Although some might say girls lacrosse gets enough recognition, I believe women's lacrosse should get more recognition because More recognition could get our youth team more money, and our team would benefit greatly from more money, women's lacrosse is a growing sport in the U.S., and the Oregon City girls lacrosse team doesn't have a good place to practice.

One example of why women's lacrosse should get more recognition is because more recognition would benefit our team. More recognition would benefit any team. Every year on the Oregon City girls lacrosse team we have some type of fundraiser but it rarely brings in enough money. For lots of things and it can only pay for portions of it, and some of these things we need for our team. If we got more money for our teams we could get new jerseys, we have been using the same jerseys since I started playing in fourth grade which was 4 years ago. we could also pay for a better field to practice on. With more money we could pay for new goals, we need new goals because two of my teammates and I were carrying the goal to put it away, and the whole

side fell apart. I think we need more recognition because, if we have more recognition then that means more people will know about the sport which means more girls will want to play, and that would also bring in more money. Another reason we need more recognition is we don't have enough players on the seventh and eighth graders' team we only have 9 girls and if one girl can't make it to the game we do not have enough players to play, so this year we are borrowing girls for the fifth and sixth graders team.

Another example of why women's lacrosse should get more recognition is because Girls lacrosse is a growing sport in the U.S. Girls lacrosse is already a pretty big sport on the East

Coast, at colleges like Maryland, Boston, Penn State, Virginia State, and North Carolina all have great lacrosse teams. There are only a few places on the West Coast with lacrosse teams. Even some high schools don't have girls lacrosse teams. One reason it is a growing sport in the United States and deserves more recognition is because it helps people be more active. There is lots of running in lacrosse. For lacrosse you have to be fast, you have to be faster than your defender so you can run to shoot or pass. Lacrosse is a very fast-moving and aggressive sport. In lacrosse you have to be assertive to be anything, for defense, you have to put pressure on the ball but not too much pressure because then you can get a foul. when you play attack like I do you have to be aggressive to get the ball into the goal and for a midfielder you have to be assertive all the time. When you goalie you have to be even more aggressive so you can stop the ball. Women's lacrosse is a straightforward sport to learn and understand. Women's lacrosse is like a mix of common sports like soccer and hockey. Like soccer, it has some of the same rules and positions. Hockey is more of a contact sport but there are some elements of hockey in lacrosse.

Lastly, women's lacrosse should get more recognition because the Oregon City 14U girls lacrosse team needs a better place to practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Oregon City 14U boys lacrosse team practices on turf Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday every day they practice, which is unfair. Because we have to practice on a muddy field which gets our clothes and gear

dirty. Multiple friends, including me, say their parents get mad at them for getting their cars muddy. The field I practice on has so many gopher holes and when we do our lap at least three people on my team are complaining about how their ankles hurt from twisting them. The grass at Gafeny Lane is also overgrown so that means we can't see the big holes when we are running, the long grass is bad for losing balls. For the first few weeks of practice, we didn't have lines on our field, now we do but the lines are inaccurate and not straight. We do not have an accurate field which means we do not have consistency and that can affect how we play. Although some say women's lacrosse has enough recognition and money the Oregon City girls lacrosse team doesn't have enough players, recognition, and money. We do not have enough money for jerseys, better goals, and a better field to play on.

Some say girls lacrosse gets enough recognition, I know women's lacrosse should get more recognition because More recognition could get our teams more money, and our team would benefit greatly from more money, women's lacrosse is a growing sport in the U.S., and the Oregon city girls lacrosse team doesn't have a good place to practice. So have you ever had a passion?

I chose to write about women's lacrosse because I think it is unfair that women's lacrosse doesn't get the recognition deserves.