Why Due Dates are Not Benificial For Students Mental Health | Teen Ink

Why Due Dates are Not Benificial For Students Mental Health

April 11, 2024
By JaxonCotton BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
JaxonCotton BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A healthy mind and body are important and staying up late heavily drains your body and your sanity working on the 3000 word essay on the last day before its due. So, in my opinion we should remove due dates from the curriculum entirely to keep students and teachers sane. While some might say having no due dates is going to make the teachers work much more on grading day, TMS should get rid of due dates because due dates give stress to students, due dates affect your grade, and rushing to complete your work will result in low quality work. Students staying up late working on their homework just before its due is even worse,getting no sleep for a growing body and not spending time doing physical activities vs an adult doing those activities the kid needs them more because they are growing.

Firstly, TMS should eliminate due dates because they cause a lot of stress for students.  Due to the students spending 2-3 hours a day not including homework and the initial school day. working tirelessly on the work to get a horrible grade because they were rushing to finish before dinner. While they are wasting their life on some worthless idea on how to calculate the circumference of a circle they’re missing their free time after school to play with their friends. However, no due dates remove the stress of work giving hope for the students to complete assignments well so they can get a good grade.

Secondly, due dates and turning in work late can affect your grade regardless of the quality of the work. This can ruin your GPA and maybe your spirit. When your work is late, your teacher cares more about the due date than the completed work. But when you turn it in on time

your teacher will give you a correct grade. Even if you turn in your work at exactly the due dates time that the assignment is due you will be late which will lower your grade but if you can turn it in with no due dates you can get rid of that pointless deduction. Saving your grade and maybe letting you actually pass and graduate.

Thirdly, rushing to do work will result in low quality work but having no due dates will increase productivity and therefore enforce and put doing homework in the fun section of a growing brain therefore increasing your likelihood of doing it well and finishing it before dinner. And getting a good grade gets you out of that class and into the next one when you graduate. When you are rushing to do your work before your teacher checks it you never learn the lesson and you're not getting smarter. You're just doing the work hoping to get a good grade but if you solved that problem you could never get a bad grade again.

 After you have read this essay you may be thinking that “It can make all the teachers lives harder on grading day” however more time to do work will result in a better grade  which will keep the students moods up and the teachers lives better because grading a bunch of good grade essays are better than grading a bunch of bad grade essays. If you still think that grading day would be bad just think about the students,think of all the bad defects that can come from no sleep like drowsiness,bad eyesight and shorter attention span therefore less learning and not getting the lesson that is being taught. 

All in all, due dates are not beneficial for students' mental health because it can cause stress in the students mind, It can change your grade depending on if you turn it in and rushing to do work will not have you learn the lesson being taught so students should be freed from due dates possession finishing there assignment before its grading day.


The author's comments:

Mario