New Tech in Society: Accept with Caution | Teen Ink

New Tech in Society: Accept with Caution

March 20, 2024
By romeoahn BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California
romeoahn BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Once we introduce something to society, we can’t go back. Everything we create has the potential for good or bad, but it can’t be undone. 

The Apple Vision Pro is an incredible device that allows you to step into your own world. This device can completely change your perspective of reality. It is an integrated goggle made with lots of engineering and computing to meet the demands of photography, videography, and much more. It looks like a giant ski goggle on the exterior, but it’s much more.

You can do almost anything with this product, like skim the internet, watch sports,  pay taxes, read emails, and even make phone calls. People could wear this for everyday use as it integrates into life. You could use it while you eat, walk around, or do anything. One unique function that has come to light is its ability to be used as a problem solver. For example, if a person had to fix a headlight on a car, he could use the split screen function to have reality on in his primary vision and a YouTube video on how to fix the light in his auxiliary line of sight. Also, because this task requires two hands, the user can slow down and fast forward using verbal cues. 

The cost is $3,500+, but, as we have seen with other pieces of technology, that price will change with time. While this invention is very cool and has the potential for tremendous upside, it does not come without risks. The prolonged use of digital screens, such as those found in smart glasses like the Vision Pro, has similar cons, such as digital eye strain, dry eyes, and iris damage. Also, early users have many issues, such as uneven weight distribution, uncomfortable frames, and difficulty in balancing the headset. 

This unique product can also have a negative mental aspect. Wearing it for too long could confuse one with virtual and real worlds, causing mental crises and deception. For example, in the movie Wall-E, every human being had a smart chair, which removed the need to exercise and communicate, and the world fell apart just relying on technology. While this product isn't at that level yet, it could soon be the cause of communication issues, mental disorders through the rewiring of the brain, and addiction problems. 

In conclusion, while the Apple Vision Pro represents an incredible leap forward in wearable technology, its current issues are significant, and this invention should still be in its testing stage to try to fix the problems. It may be better for us in the future, but it is still too early to determine if it is a bad or good thing to implement in our society, so we must be careful. 


The author's comments:

As someone growing up in this generation, it is very important to understand the implementation of technology and how it can impact our society. I'm also intrigued by business so anytime a new product hits the market I do a deep dive into it.