Similarities and Differences of Winston Churchill and Adolf Hitler | Teen Ink

Similarities and Differences of Winston Churchill and Adolf Hitler

January 24, 2024
By EmileSegarra GOLD, Pernes Les Fontaines, Other
EmileSegarra GOLD, Pernes Les Fontaines, Other
10 articles 1 photo 3 comments

     During World War II, two iconic leaders, Winston Churchill and Adolf Hitler, played key roles on the global stage. Although they had big differences, they also shared multiple key similarities. 

     Winston Churchill, born in 1874 in Woodstock, England, became the Prime Minister of the UK during critical periods from 1940 to 1945 and later from 1951 to 1955. His early life was marked by academic struggles, but he eventually began a military career and worked as a part-time journalist. Churchill is known for inspiring his nation and collaborating with the Allies, particularly the Soviet Union and the U.S., contributing significantly to the defeat of Hitler and Nazi Germany. Adolf Hitler, born in Austria in 1889, rose to power as the dictator of Nazi Germany during WWII. He used an ideology of extreme fascism and racial supremacy, leading to the Holocaust and aggressive expansion. Hitler's life was marked by struggles, including his period as an orphan and homelessness. His passion for German nationalism gave way to his pursuit of dominance and control over Europe, causing the outbreak of WWII. 
 
     Adolf Hitler and Winston Churchill had different beliefs, actions, and moral standings during World War II. Hitler who was the leader of Nazi Germany, was inspired by an ideology of extreme fascism and racial supremacy. He rapidly expanded his empire through the invasion of many countries leading to the Holocaust. In contrast, Winston Churchill, as the Prime Minister of the U.K, defended democracy and individual freedoms. He stood as a symbol of democratic resistance to tyranny and played a major role in the making and leadership of the Allied Powers, which helped defeat Nazi Germany. These massive differences in ideology and the consequences of their leadership show how they were different. Adding on these leaders had some significant differences in the way they governed and did what they were best at. For example, they both had very different leadership styles. Hitler utilized the belief that if goals and objectives were to be accomplished, they must be done at all costs. His leadership career would gather speed at a rate unimagined by anyone, including himself. Hitler excelled at German national politics. People underestimated him because they believed that he did not know about diplomacy. However, despite these suspected weaknesses that many believed Hitler had, in May of 1940, he organized a strike through the Ardennes. That was the strategy of the Western European campaign. Meanwhile Churchill was an enemy of Hitler, for multiple reasons. Churchill is seen more as a man of reason. In 1940, Churchill stood in Hitler's path, to prevent his success from winning the war. As a result, Hitler considered an invasion of Russia that may come before or even remove the need of an invasion of England . This consideration would emphasize Franklin Roosevelt's sympathy for Churchill's Britain and his hate to Hitler's Germany. Churchill was driven by a reasoning that was old-fashioned. Churchill worked for his respect, while Hitler's leadership was the result of a great rise.  These were the most significant differences between these two leaders during WWII. 


     Hitler and Churchill, despite their big differences, had a few small, but crucial important similarities during WWII. First, they both had great speaking skills that allowed them to attract and motivate their followers. Hitler’s speeches were known for their ability to agitate the masses in Nazi Germany, creating an atmosphere of loyalty (“Adolf Hitler”). Meanwhile, Churchill’s elaborate speeches were great in boosting the morale of the British people and soldiers during the war helping them to stand against Nazi aggression . Their powerful speaking became a crucial tool in helping their nations stand. In terms of leadership during WWII, Hitler was the dictator of Nazi Germany, getting total power and control over his regime. He made critical decisions for his country. Churchill, as the Prime Minister of the U.K, played a crucial role in guiding the British war effort and was the representation of resistance to the Nazis. His leadership was characterized by a democratic approach, collaborating with his Cabinet and keeping the British people informed and engaged (Roberts). Although their leadership styles were very different, both leaders were the main leaders of the countries. Adding on, the global influence of both Hitler and Churchill extended beyond their countries. Hitler’s expansion ambitions and military conquests placed him at the center of an evolving European and global geopolitical landscape. His actions had far-reaching implications, sparking a global conflict. In contrast, Churchill’s resistance to Nazi aggression and his strong commitment to the Allied cause made him an important figure on the world stage. His collaboration with Allied leaders, including Roosevelt and Stalin, played a crucial role in shaping the direction of the war and the post-war world order. However, despite their differences, both Hitler and Churchill left a big mark on the world during this period.

 
     In conclusion, these leaders who had different roles during WWII, did share some key similarities and differences. Some of these differences included their different beliefs, actions and morals they had. While the similarities were their speaking skills, leadership skills, and their global influence. I believe that it is extremely important to compare these two leaders to help understand the conflicts they were in and the lives they led whom influenced many.

    Overall, these are what I believe the biggest differences were and the most important similarities they had.