The Pressure of Drinking and Vaping | Teen Ink

The Pressure of Drinking and Vaping

By jrbuckl6 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
jrbuckl6 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Underage drinking and vaping have gained popularity among the youth of this generation, jeopardizing the physical and mental well-being of adolescents. Peer pressure, which plagues teenagers in particular, plays a pivotal role in shaping decisions relating to substance abuse. Many kids who have been vaping or drinking since middle school are now either addicted to these substances or have experienced many negative impacts in their lives as a result.

Although underage drinking and smoking, now vaping, has been an issue for decades among youth there are no signs of a decrease in their usage. The cause of these behaviors is often fueled by the desire for social acceptance and seen as a rite of passage into adulthood. I have certainly felt peer pressure and the desire to fit in among my peers. For example, when I moved schools, everyone in my first year would wear Vans sneakers. Wanting to fit in, I bought a pair of Vans although I did not particularly like how they looked. However, the possibility of becoming addicted to alcohol or nicotine substances has made me nervous from wanting to try, even though I have had the opportunity many times. My Vans example is minor compared with excessive drinking and vaping because you could be  jeopardizing your health. According to Dr. Allison Groom in her article, The Influence of Friends on Teen Vaping: A Mixed-Methods Approach, "Among survey respondents, friends were the most common source of vapers' first nicotine product (60%). Most survey respondents tried their first nicotine product while ‘hanging out with friends’ (54%)."

In my experience, vaping was more popular among my peers in high school than drinking alcohol. I was often surprised and maybe naive at the people who would offer me a vape at parties. Many were athletes and high-achieving in the classroom. I was very nervous that as a swimmer it would affect my performance in the pool. I tried to steer clear of my peers who actively vaped because I didn’t want to be guilty by association. If I had wanted to ever vape, it would have been easily accessible even though I went to a private, all-boys’ high school. There were many of my peers who were willing to spend a lot of money to maintain their addiction to vaping. At a school where there were many kids from wealthy families, it was not hard to find vapes around campus and access never seemed to be an issue. 

Federal law has now made it illegal for anyone under 21 to purchase tobacco products, which includes vapes. Kids will then purchase from others which can be incredibly dangerous. Vapes can be laced with unknown substances and lead to overdoses. Vapes can also come in many flavors, which kids find appealing, but may also contain deadly substances leading to tragic circumstances.  According to Fox43, “The vaping devices are altered with fentanyl or heroin by being injected through the vaping liquid.”  This is a very serious circumstance because with fentanyl you cannot taste or smell it.  With the vapes being infused with different flavoring it is basically unnoticeable and could lead to death without being treated right away.  Although since you would not know that the fentanyl is in your vape it would be fatal.

Although vaping and consumption of illegal substances is widespread, underage drinking continues to be popular among teens today. Many kids are introduced to alcohol as early as junior high and early years of high school. Access to alcohol does not seem to be too much of an issue, whether kids steal it from their parents or know older kids who will purchase it for them. Again, social peer pressure plays a huge role in kids taking their first drink. It may seem harmless, but this can lead to further health and addiction problems. Kids may start with tasting a beer or hard seltzer, but may soon graduate to harder alcohol. The health effects of alcohol on adolescents’ brains and bodies can be detrimental.  According to Effects Of Alcohol On Teens: Physical, Mental, And Emotional, “Teens who use alcohol are at a higher risk of developing mental health problems such as depression, suicide, and psychosis as adults.”  This is an alarming quote because many kids' mental problems are caused by underage substance abuse.  If kids didn’t underage drink health probelms could go down and possibly suicide rated.

In addition, behavior while under the influence of alcohol can be extremely dangerous and can lead to drunk driving or sexual assault. From the article, Underage Drinking, "1 in 4 car crashes with teens involve drunk driving." The advent and proliferation of rideshare services to the masses has helped decrease drunk driving, which is very positive.  According to the article, Has Rideshare changed Drunk-Driving Rates “Drunk driving has gone down 63% with creation of ride-share.”  However, until driving while intoxicated has been eradicated it will continue to be an issue. 

Sexual assault in high school and college campuses is prevalent especially when alcohol is involved. Drinking alcohol impairs judgment. This may put individuals in situations where their safety is in jeopardy.  Personally I have helped someone who could have been affected by this.  I was at a Halloween party at my friend's apartment and my friend and I went to grab something from his car and we saw a girl lying on the ground in the parking garage.  Her friends left her there because supposedly she was being “too difficult to get in the uber”.  We took her inside and helped her from there but if my friend and I didn’t come at that exact moment she could have been kidnapped or assaulted because she was barely able to stand up.

Fake IDs are still prevalent on college campuses in order for kids to purchase illegal substances.  It is a risk many are willing to take. According to Aubrie Selsmeyer in her article, Are Fake Ids Worth The Risk? "In 2022, about 45.6% of college students admitted possessing a fake ID." Even though identification cards, such as drivers licenses, have become more high tech and harder to duplicate with the inclusion of holograms and RFID Chips, this has not stopped kids from buying them and risking a Class 1 Misdemeanor on their record and a punishment of fines and potential jail time.

With social media, kids’ behaviors are publicized for everyone to see and may negatively impact college acceptances or future job opportunities. However, the fear of social exclusion, especially in high school and college, can push individuals to engage in these activities against their better judgment, highlighting the strength of peer pressure.

This article is about underage drinking and vaping and the risks to it