Does Development Mean Progress for South Korea During its Industrial Revolution? | Teen Ink

Does Development Mean Progress for South Korea During its Industrial Revolution?

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

The South Korean Industrial Revolution was built upon the solid economic and technological foundations laid in the post-Korean War period through initiatives by the government to promote export-oriented industrialization, which helped transform South Korea from one of the poorest countries in the world to a newly industrialized one. During the South Korean Industrial Revolution from the 1960s onward, development partially meant progress because education, government-industry collaboration, heavy industries, and electronic development showed considerable growth. However, on the other hand, there remained a solid connection to traditional cultural values, and the gender gap was not bridged until much later on.

As South Korea transitioned from agrarian to industrial society, working conditions became highly challenging. This period of industrialization also had negative implications for family structures as parents and children often lived apart due to demanding factory schedules. As a result, emotional bonds within families were strained, leading to increased cases of stress and abuse. Alongside these challenges, there was a growing divide between factory owners and workers as labor unrest escalated. However, as industrialization progressed, attitudes began shifting. Labor movements catalyzed unions who organized strikes advocating for change. Recognizing the need for a satisfied population with high morale, the government acknowledged these concerns. Which came in the form of new labor laws passed in the 1970s, implemented to regulate working hours, ensure safety measures, provide healthcare accessibility, and establish wage standards. As a result of high wages and improved benefits, there was an increased demand for goods. The new labor laws provided attractive employment opportunities to workers and their families. This factor played a role in the mass migration of people towards areas during this period. The satisfied industrial workforce further supported growth as South Korea's GDP experienced an increase of over 8% from 1960 to 1990.

Though progress was swift in aspects of industry, rooted cultural traditions influenced by Confucianism were not easily disrupted. Women were primarily defined by their roles within the family based on ideals of femininity and propriety. As men rapidly found factory employment, women were often neglected; they were expected to focus on domestic responsibilities. This was seen as a way to maintain stability amidst economic changes. With the expansion of education and opportunities, younger generations began questioning past gender roles. Nevertheless, conservative societal values regarding women's place persisted for years during South Korea's modernization process. A prime example is education, where tertiary institutions still possess a male-female body ratio of 57.3%-42.7%.

The government enhanced citizens' access to education and vocational programs. As a result, people eagerly enrolled in schools, while adults willingly participated in retraining initiatives. Workers endured hours not because employers demanded it but because they believed that hard work would be rewarded. Investing in education at all levels has been instrumental in raising the literacy rate in South Korea. According to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Korea, the literacy rate increased from 22% in 1945 to 91% by 1990. This significant improvement in education created a pool of workers that domestic companies could tap into as industries underwent modernization and globalization. Data shows that between 1980 and 1989, college graduates rose from 403,000 to 1.4 million. The presence of an educated population enabled South Korea's transition towards manufacturing and service sector jobs, resulting in increased worker wages. This shift also helped social mobility and increased consumer spending, further driving development.

Industries like steel production benefited South Korea's economic growth and living standards. Establishing steel mills and other capital-intensive industries, such as shipbuilding, expanded South Korea’s GDP through increased manufacturing output and exports. According to POSCO’s data, South Korea experienced remarkable growth in crude steel production during this period – from 0.3 million tons in 1960 to around 10 million tons by 1980. This rapid expansion in steel production also supported related industries like shipbuilding. Ship exports surged from nothing in 1970 to over $8.5 billion by 2000, based on Statista. During that period, the heavy industries in South Korea provided employment opportunities and boosted the economy. As urbanization increased and people moved from rural areas to cities, these labor-intensive industries thrived. The steel industry, in particular, employed more than 2,000 workers each year from the 1990s onward. Steel exports also brought in exchange, contributing to further industrial development. Thanks to this growth, there was an improvement in living standards and domestic consumption.

During those decades, the South Korean government actively collaborated with industries such as steel and shipbuilding to facilitate this growth and foster economic development. They provided support through low-interest loans, subsidies, and tax incentives. By investing and modernizing their operations with this assistance, business boomed. For instance, statistics indicate that between 1973 and 1979, the steel industry received over $500 million in subsidies (Chaudhuri). This support led to an increase in production from 2 million tons to over 15 million tons. They were creating numerous high-paying manufacturing jobs nationwide. By the 1980s, the average income per person had risen to over $1,700, an increase from $106 in 1962.

South Korea's electronics industry played a significant role in the country's development during its period of industrialization. Companies like Samsung and LG invested in establishing top-notch manufacturing facilities for semiconductors, memory chips, and consumer electronics. As a result, South Korea became a considerable exporter and supplier in these industries by the 1990s, producing a range of products, including TVs and appliances. This boosted foreign exchange earnings substantially while improving living standards as more households acquired TVs and appliances over a few decades. Moreover, the expertise and technological advancements in electronics paved the way for emerging industries like robotics and nanotechnology, solidifying Korea's position as a leader in innovation.

South Korea successfully revitalized its economy through government investments across all levels of education and advancements made in industries like steel production and shipbuilding. As a result of this transformation, South Korea experienced a transition from depending on labor to becoming a nation driven by exports. However, despite progress, in some areas, issues regarding gender equality persisted, and specific cultural values remained unchanged with both positive and negative implications. Despite these challenges, South Korea surpassed expectations and emerged as a leading economic powerhouse while maintaining one of the highest living standards.

South Korea has always fascinated me, how could a country so poor just 80 years ago become a global powerhouse in such a short time?