ADDiction to Distract | Teen Ink

ADDiction to Distract

May 15, 2023
By AdamD123 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
AdamD123 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

ADDiction to Distraction 


One more test is what I thought. I was almost done with these strange tests but most people wouldn’t even know what kind of test I am talking about if I didn't spread some information about my neurological condition called ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). This has impacted my life for as long as I can remember. I was sick of being told I wasn't “capable” even though I knew it wasn't a lack of effort. I just couldn't understand or remember the information I was being told so I couldn't do my best. My parents decided to talk to me and got me the help I needed. I started going to the doctor and they would make me do some strange tests that would make me click an arrow when the triangle was blue. Once I finished these tests, they saw I was very distracted while taking them, and that’s how I got diagnosed with ADD.

Since my diagnosis, I have learned to embrace having ADD.  This condition is actually more common than most might think because over 1 percent of people struggle with ADD just in the United States. I felt as if I just needed to talk to someone about what was happening. I now self medicate meaning I meditate. Meditation helps with lots of things such as staying more focused and relaxed. When people are relaxed they have a better chance of taking in information. I also take medication; however, not all people need to use medication. Meditating can have the same benefits as medication because it keeps people more calm. It actually helps to talk to people after being diagnosed with my condition, and it's also good for people to be informed, so I like to spread awareness. I even feel better knowing that there is something different about me and that it’s totally okay.

Before I got my diagnosis of ADD, most people thought that I was just lazy and not wanting to put in my best work but that was certainly not the case. My mother is a teacher and noticed that I wasn't taking in knowledge like all the other kids. This didn't matter because I was in elementary school so grades didn't really matter at that point but then middle school it started to impact my academic skills which led me down a steep slope and people calling me “not smart enough” for not understanding the content we were learning.

I started to question my original opinion and my world came spiraling down until I decided I wanted to do something about it. So I got appointments set up with a doctor, and I took many tests. I then realized I got the help I've wanted even though I had been too afraid to talk to my parents earlier. I should have talked to them sooner because it was the biggest change in my life. I have now been doing better in school being able to learn like the other students but I still lack some solving skills, especially in math, because I had such a large gap from when I didn't remember anything and was always distracted. 

In the end, I am now a 9th grade student that is very informed about my condition called ADD. I have chosen to not slow down because of my condition and actually speed up which led me to work harder and try harder. Although this has impacted my life, I still choose to stand tall and not let my peers talk down on me. I have had to overcome many obstacles in this journey but I learned that I had to talk to someone and be more aware.