Independence is Key | Teen Ink

Independence is Key

February 8, 2023
By clarART SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
clarART SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
9 articles 7 photos 0 comments

For some, the thought of isolation seems worse than death. Yet others may see it as an opportunity to thrive. Jane Eyre is a prime example of the latter. Jane endures numerous harrowing situations of exile yet finds peace in her solitude. This raises a question: does it take a certain type of person to not only withstand but grow from these circumstances? In her novel Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë reveals that while exile is both an alienating and enriching experience, it allows the development of an autonomous character.

Jane's living at Gateshead shows that one can be isolated without feeling alone. While living with Mrs Reed, Jane is constantly tormented by the Reed children. John Reed “hurls” a book at Jane, which causes her to “strike [her] head against the door” (Brontë 13). Furthermore, Jane is blamed for the fight and thrown into the Red Room. Jane’s frequent banishments into the Red Room are deeply traumatizing for her, with one instance in which she mistakes the light from a lantern as a “herald of some coming vision from another world” (21). After this vicious treatment, Jane declares that she feels like an anomaly compared to the others at Gateshead, has “no love for [the Reeds],” and, sarcastically, that she “ought to forgive” Mrs. Reed for causing her “mental suffering” (19-25). Despite this, Jane resolves to not let these day-to-day struggles break her spirit. When she is feeling lonely, Jane simply becomes engrossed in a book and is “happy” in “[her] way” (10). Jane is able to deal with all this hate and cruelty that extends to a point where she is completely isolated from the others at Gateshead. She handles the situation independently without letting herself fall into a pit of loneliness and despair. This reflects that, with the right mindset, endurance of even the most alienating environments is possible. 

Studying at Lowood helps Jane find a self-reliant personality in her loneliness. When she first arrives at Lowood, Jane is again hit with a feeling of solitude, yet “to that feeling of isolation,” she is “accustomed” (58). She does not let this hold her back, however, and “Gateshead and [her] past life float away to an immeasurable distance” (58). Upon meeting Helen, Jane witnesses the harsh treatment that Helen endures quietly. This is strange to Jane, as she feels that if she were in Helen’s shoes, she “would wish the Earth to open and swallow [her] up” (62). The crux of Helen’s defense is that “it is far better to endure patiently a smart which nobody feels but yourself, than to commit a hasty action whose evil consequences will extend to all connected with you” (66). In other words, it is much less trouble to face whatever pain that greets you on your own. Through Helen’s remarks—most of which are slightly cryptic—Jane is able to learn the importance of autonomy. Jane further recognizes that every hardship that meets her should be fought without antipathy, fought without anger, fought without a vengeful spirit.  Jane is forced to alienate herself, in a way, from her childish opinions on acceptance and forgiveness. As Jane shifts her attitude, she finds that “the privations of Lowood lessen” (90). A self-sufficient character can work through the most severe struggles. 

Jane’s incidents at both Gateshead and Lowood thoroughly prepare her for the obstacles she encounters throughout the rest of her life. After having experienced extremely strenuous living conditions, she constructs a sovereign spirit. While it is without a doubt distressing, her isolation from society also cultivates Jane in such a way that she is able to prosper. It takes a special type of person to do what Jane does. Jane’s story can give hope to those who may also go through similar experiences and prove to them that, in certain circumstances, independence is key to surviving. 

 

Work Cited

Brontë, Charlotte. Jane Eyre. Penguin Classics, 2006.