Analysis on the Nature of Evil in Macbeth | Teen Ink

Analysis on the Nature of Evil in Macbeth

December 19, 2022
By slevorchick GOLD, Stony Brook, New York
slevorchick GOLD, Stony Brook, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together."--Marilyn Monroe


Evil: is it an innate characteristic or gradually developed throughout life? This simple yet complex question is thoroughly established in William Shakespeare’s story of Macbeth as the protagonist, Macbeth, is originally known to be a loyal and faithful man to King Duncan and the kingdom of Scotland. However, the supernatural prophecy of the three witches engulfs Macbeth’s mind, causing greed for power to emerge in himself. As he commits numerous murders to acquire and retain the throne, evil tendencies emanate in the man; furthermore, transforming himself from a benevolent man into one of sinister doings as the prophecy consumes his mind and his wife influences his decisions.

A drastic change in Macbeth’s character is initially seen after the Weird Sisters’ Prophecy. At first, he is in total disbelief until two aspects of the Witches’ words come true; he is Thane of Glamis and will become the Thane of Cawdor shortly after. He is granted this title by other lords and King Duncan after the previous Thane of Cawdor committed treason. While discussing this matter, the royals speak fondly of Macbeth’s bravery as the Captain describes Macbeth’s victorious battle, “But all’s too weak, For brave Macbeth (well he deserves that name) Disdaining Fortune, with his brandished steel, Which smoked with bloody execution, Like Valor’s minion, carved out his passage…” (Act I, Sc. 2, p. 9). King Duncan then praises Macbeth following the Captain by exclaiming, “O valiant cousin! Worthy gentleman!” (Act I, Sc. 2, p. 9). These two laudations toward Macbeth further indicate that Macbeth was a heroic and faithful man to the kingdom of Scotland. In an exchange between Macbeth and King Duncan, Macbeth pledges his loyalty, “The service and the loyalty I owe In doing it pays itself. Your Highness’ part Is to receive our duties, and our duties Are to your throne and state children and servants, Which do but what they should by doing everything Safe toward your love and honor” (Act I, Sc. 4, p. 27). It is evident that Macbeth is indeed very loyal to the King as Macbeth has no thoughts of harming him at this moment. As his destiny begins to come true, Macbeth realizes that his kingship would be soon to come, and it is prevalent that Macbeth is believing in fate. “If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me without my stir” (Act I, Sc. 4, p. 25), demonstrates his believe in the supernatural words. However, along with this, he also discerns that there could be some obstacles along the way as he states, “The Prince of Cumberland! That is a step On which I must fall down or else o’erleap, For in my way it lies” (Act I, Sc. 4, p. 29). His cognizance is the first trigger of greed and impatience in the man, which, therefore, instigates malevolence to emerge within him.

What also causes the emergence of evil in Macbeth is his wife’s influence on his decisions. After reading a letter from her husband–consisting of the explanation of the Weird Sisters Prophecy–Lady Macbeth’s thirst for power is exhibited as she conjures up the idea of murdering King Duncan so she could become queen. “The raven himself is hoarse That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan Under my battlements. Come, you spirits That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here, And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full Of direst cruelty” (Act I, Sc. 5, p. 33), delineates how Lady Macbeth desires to act like a man and commit the murder of Duncan. Later, she tells Macbeth about her murder plan, enkindling a flame of evil in Macbeth. However, he contemplates murdering the King as he ponders the possible consequences that could result from the deed, leading him not to proceed with the assassination, not because of its immorality, but rather the impact it could have on himself. This decision, nonetheless, is transient as Lady Macbeth persuades him into killing the King by deeming him unmanly and feeble, “What beast was ’t, then, That made you break this enterprise to me? When you durst do it, then you were a man; And to be more than what you were, you would Be so much more the man.” (Act I, Sc. 7, p. 43). By saying so, Lady Macbeth definitively persuades him into committing the vicious murder.

Macbeth, however, still possesses a sense of reluctance as the execution of the murder approaches. He is in a state of perplexion and nearing insanity when he is seconds away from doing the deed as he hallucinates a bloody dagger. Macbeth then snaps back to reality as he draws an actual dagger, and then he proceeds to kill King Duncan. After Macbeth flees the King’s chamber, Macbeth frames and kills two drunken soldiers while claiming to have caught them in the act of murdering King Duncan. The King’s sons flee out of the country since they feel their lives are at risk; this, therefore, allows Macbeth to become the king, just as he had hoped and schemed. Therefore, another facet of evil is added to Macbeth’s character as he feels his power could be at threat. For instance, in the Weird Sisters’ prophecy, it is stated that Banquo would become the king after Macbeth. Macbeth thinks back to these words, yet again, and disquiet ignites within him since he assumes that Banquo and his son, Fleance, could do the same as Macbeth did to King Duncan, murder him. “Our fears in Banquo Stick deep, and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be feared…Rather than so, come fate into the list, And champion me to th’ utterance” (Act III, Sc. 1, p. 85) portrays Macbeth’s distress, along with nefariousness and pride, since he intends to murder Banquo, a dear friend of his. Macbeth is willing to challenge fate and fight to the death to avoid Banquo’s acquisition of the throne. Instead of killing Banquo and Fleance himself, Macbeth decides to hire murderers to do so, leading up to Banquo’s death as well as Fleance’s escape. However, Macbeth chooses not to tell his wife about his plan; therefore, portraying Macbeth’s individual wickedness without the same influence his wife had on him before. Consequently, this provokes the growth of hatred and evil inside of Macbeth as he expresses to the murderers, “So is he mine, and in such bloody distance That every minute of his being thrusts Against my near’st of life” (Act 3, Sc. 1, p. 89). This further depicts how Macbeth’s loathing for Banquo substantially developed as he claims Banquo is his enemy despite Banquo being a devoted acquaintance to Macbeth beforehand. In consequence, Macbeth’s malevolence defeats their friendship as he is very desperate to maintain his corruptly claimed power. After this murder, Macbeth hallucinates again as he envisions the Ghost of Banquo’s presence during a banquet, which is a reflection of how the evilness brewing up inside of him inflicts insanity.

The Weird Sisters then summon Macbeth again to impart another prophecy that would eventually produce a greater sense of diabolism in the man; however, this time, apparitions spawned by the witches warn him about the dangers to come. “Macbeth! Beware Macduff! Beware the Thane of Fife!” (Act 4, Sc. 1, p. 125), and “Be bloody, bold, and resolute. Laugh to scorn The power of man, for none of woman born Shall harm Macbeth” (Act 4, Sc. 1, p. 125) are two such prophecies, which induce fluctuation in his overconfidence and his heinous tendencies as he sets out to complete another murder. He desires to kill Macduff but learns that Macduff has fled the country. This causes Macbeth to concoct the idea of murdering Macduff’s family in order to draw Macduff back to Scotland while also ending Macduff’s lineage, “The castle of Macduff I will surprise, Seize upon Fife, give to th' edge o' th' sword His wife, his babes, and all unfortunate souls That trace him in his line” (Act 4, Sc.1, p. 131). The plan can illustrate an increase in Macbeth’s bloodthirst and ruthlessness as he does not possess regard for others, perceiving everyone and everything as a threat; therefore, revealing his extreme level of greed. Macduff eventually puts the pieces together about Macbeth’s deceit and iniquitous behaviors and then returns to Scotland to avenge his family and King Duncan; meanwhile, everyone in the kingdom comprehends how tyrannous Macbeth truly is. With the new prophecy in mind, Macbeth is firstly cautious when it comes to Macduff, but then he is overly presumptuous and thinks he is invincible as he assumes all men are naturally born. As he confronts Macduff, Macbeth says, “Thou losest labor. As easy mayst thou the intrenchant air With thy keen sword impress as make me bleed. Let fall thy blade on vulnerable crests; I bear a charmèd life, which must not yield To one of woman born” (Act 5, Sc. 8, p. 185), which displays Macbeth’s overconfidence as he believes Macduff is wasting his time and risking his life by fighting Macbeth. Macbeth's speculation is disproved after Macduff admits that he was removed from his mother’s womb, which subsequently falters Macbeth’s courage. However, this confidence is reestablished as Macbeth utters, “I will not yield To kiss the ground before young Malcolm’s feet And to be baited with the rabble’s curse. Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane And thou opposed, being of no woman born, Yet I will try the last” (Act 5, Sc. 5, p. 187), further evincing how Macbeth does not want to lose his title and respect despite fate being against him. Macbeth is, however, then slain by Macduff as karma bites him in the face, therefore, extinguishing the living flame of evil in Macbeth.

From Aristotle to Sigmund Freud, the nature of evil has been contemplated by many philosophers as the debate of morality has continuously transpired for multiple centuries. The origin of maleficence is considerably encapsulated in the case of Shakespeare's protagonist Macbeth. Macbeth's malevolence is seen to be triggered by certain instances in his life, such as prophecies and his wife’s persuasion, rather than it being an intrinsic attribute. Ultimately, these factors lead to Macbeth’s downfall as he succumbs to greed and strives to hold onto his precious golden round.


The author's comments:

Analysis I wrote last year after reading Macbeth in English class.