True or False | Teen Ink

True or False

April 12, 2022
By 23jenniferagoodine PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina
23jenniferagoodine PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina
24 articles 0 photos 2 comments

In Harper Lee’s novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, a black man, Tom Robinson, was accused of a crime he did not commit and is unable to find fairness anywhere. Not in his everyday life when he is just simply trying to be a good person. Certainly not in the courtroom where all men are supposed to be equal. Throughout the novel, many characters testified such as Bob Ewell, Mayella Ewell, and Tom Robinson.

In the testimony of Bob Ewell, his body language, his emotions, and what he and other people said on the stand shows that he could have committed the crime. For example, “‘... Mr. Ewell came in, very excited he was and said get out to his house quick, some n- rapped his girl’” (Lee 223). This is indicative because he could run to get the sheriff, but not a doctor. This is significant that Mr. Ewell could have committed the crime and tried to blame someone else because of how black people were treated at this time. Additionally, Judge Taylor told Mr. Ewell, “‘There will be no more audibly obscene speculations on any subject from anybody in this courtroom as long as I’m sitting here’” (Lee 230). This is meaningful because Mr. Ewell has no respect for anyone in the courtroom because he thinks he is better than everyone. This also demonstrates that he is smug because he knows that he is going to win the case. Throughout the testimony of Mr. Ewell, there is solid evidence that he committed the crime and used Tom Robinson as a cover-up.

 In the testimony of Mayella Ewell, her body language, her emotions, and what she and other people said on the stand show that she lied under oath and someone else committed the crime. For example, “... she had twisted her handkerchief into a sweaty rope...” (Lee 241).  Thus, she seems nervous, sneaky, and scared. Her body language indicates that she could be hiding something or not telling something because when people fidget they usually try to hide something. Additionally,  Atticus asked Mayella about her relationship with her father, she “... looked at her father… he sat up straight and waited for her to answer. ‘Except when nothin’ said Mayella” (Lee 245).  The quote reveals that she seems to hide the truth or be uncertain. Evidence explains that she is seeking her father’s approval when she is on the stand like she can’t say what she was going to say with him in the room. Throughout the testimony of Mayella Ewell, there is solid evidence that she is lying and that she is trying to protect her father and use Tom Robinson as a cover-up.

In the testimony of Tom Robinson, what he said and what other people said on the stand shows he did not commit the crime. For example, “‘She says she never kissed a grown man before an’ she might as well kiss a n-. She says what her papa do to her don’t count’” (Lee 260). This is an affirmation that Mr. Ewell sexually abuses his daughter. This is proof that shows that Tom Robinson did not commit the crime and it goes along with his testimony in the courtroom  Additionally, “His left arm was fully twelve inches shorter than his right, and hung dead at his side. It ended in a small shriveled hand… I could see that it was no use to him” (Lee 248). Due to how Mayella’s injuries were on the right side of her face, someone who was left-handed would have beat her. Due to how Tom Robinson is crippled and he cannot use his left arm. Throughout the testimony of Tom Robinson, there is solid evidence through his testimony and the testimonies of others that he did not commit this crime and people are trying to set him up.

Throughout the novel, Bob Ewell, Mayella Ewell, and Tom Robinson gave testimonies in an attempt to prove their innocence in the case of Tom Robinson. First, Bob Ewell’s body language, his emotions, and what he said is evidence he committed the crime. Secondly, Mayella Ewell was lying on the stand and that she is trying to protect her father and blame Tom Robinson as a cover-up to her father committing the crime. Lastly, Tom Robinson is an innocent man and Mr. Ewell blamed him to protect himself. 


The author's comments:

My to Kill a Mocking Bird piece I wrote in English 2