Close Family Units Produce Success | Teen Ink

Close Family Units Produce Success

By tallen330 BRONZE, Green Bay, Wisconsin
tallen330 BRONZE, Green Bay, Wisconsin

In some families, the members do not have a strong relationship with one another. Even though sibling and parent arguments happen, with certain precautions, that can be avoided. 

In homes where excessive fighting takes place, there is potential impact where a child may experience deterioration in the success of their future. An example of excessive fighting is excessive volume and unnecessary language in a negative way. There are many reasons why having a good relationship with family is important. The children could learn a lot from having a close family and could gain love and support from the family around them. A child should have a close family relationship because it teaches selflessness, it creates accountability, and it generates love.

Close family units, or homes where the family has a close bond with each other, will be able to teach the child to learn selflessness and live that out in their daily lives. Kids can learn things from their parents when they see the parents give, help, and spend time with the kids. By parents being a help to other people, the children notice and they would want to be like their parents in that aspect as well. Providing assistance goes along with this concept very similarly. From a personal perspective, watching mom or dad helping other people and seeing the need makes the child want to help their neighbors and people around them. Parents should be the best role models they can be, if they are respectful and polite to people, the children will learn that from them (Reichenbach, 2013). A good way of making an impact on the child is rewarding them. This will not only build an impact, but build confidence to continue to be kind and helpful. Recognizing their achievements help them build confidence and love for people.(Brooke, 2021). When the children carry this throughout their adult years, their grandchildren will learn from this as well.

Another way kids learn selflessness from their family is during family activities. When a child suggests an activity, the sibling is most likely to want the opposite. Being close to your family helps create that selflessness to agree on the small and larger things. Now, siblings will not agree all the time; families are not perfect. However, there will be a decrease in arguing between siblings if they are closer and willing to compromise. The last point of teaching selflessness is about time management. The time a child’s parent takes out of their day to help them with their homework, doing a small activity with them, or even taking them out for lunch. These are only some examples of parents setting aside their time for their child. This same lesson could also teach thankfulness in the fact that they have parents who teach them these positive attributes. Parents may also start a regular activity to be able to work around their schedule, and spend time with their children (Bornstein, 2020). The amount of time parents take out of their day shows how much they want their kid to succeed and helps teach selflessness. 

Another benefit of having a close family unit is that it creates accountability. Accountability means that everyone is responsible for what they do. However, while the children are growing up, the parents need to help teach their kids to be accountable on their own.  By being in a close family, the parents will be able to keep their children accountable in multiple different aspects. One way to keep accountability in a home, would be electronic accountability. A good example of this would be screen time. Older siblings with phones are more likely to spend a large amount of their time on their electronics, just as parents do. A common, helpful foundational rule for electronic use is to limit screen time. This aspect helps create more time for family bonding and quality time. Responsibility in chores can help bonding as well, because they force the kids to work together, and complete the task efficiently. Children who are encouraged to help around at home will be able to see firsthand that what they do every day makes a difference (Brooke, 2021). It will create an atmosphere as a result of the kids getting closer. 

Whatever the child’s responsibilities and home may be, it affects all of the members of the family positively. When the parents enlist their child’s help for a task, that may increase the responsibilities in their eyes because of such an achievement. The more involved the parents are in their children's responsibilities, the greater an example they set for everyone. At the same time, the parents need to leave room for the child’s independence so the reliance is not on the parent. Creating a sense of independence helps build character and self esteem because it teaches them they are capable of things on their own (Brooke, 2021).

The final point is the fact that close family units generate love. When a child disobeys, the parents will be quick to forgive the majority of the time. The reason they are able to forgive so quickly is because they love them. This generates love between the two family members that once had conflict. A common thing that generates love throughout a close family is encouragement. Being a part of a family that encourages one another, generates love. It also shows that the parents want what is best for the child. By realizing that, it would encourage them to encourage others. Encouragement goes a very long way especially in a close-knit home. The strongest way to generate love is through quality time. Quality time is about making the most out of the time you spend together as a family (Bornstein, 2020). The more time a family spends with one another, the more love is brought through the family. A few good ways to portray quality time is through activities.  Bonding experiences through activities are some of the best ways to become closer (Bornstein, 2020). Puzzles, hiking, bikig, baking, kayaking, are just some good examples of spending time together. That could be the most important thing to that particular child. When the child sees that happening in their own home, they can pass that down to their younger siblings or even the next generation. 

Conclusion

As people carry on with their daily lives, there are many ways to take home these tips to families. There were three reasons that will be summarized in this conclusion. One of the three different reasons was that it creates accountability for the child as they get older and progress in life. Another reason was that it teaches selflessness. It teaches that in the way of allowing the child to make their own decision based on the wants of others. The last reason was having a close family unit generates love. This is shown in multiple ways throughout the daily lives of the family. Love is what will, most often, help the child be most successful, knowing they have support from home to pursue their passion later in life. 

Work Cited

Bornstein, M.H. “Positive Relationships for Families: How to Build Them.” Raising Children Network, Australian Government Department of Social Services, 31 Aug. 2020, raisingchildren.net.au/grown-ups/family-life/routines-rituals-relationships/good-family-relationships#quality-time-and-family-relationships-nav-title 

Reichenbach, Denise. “Ties That Bind Are Forged by Love and Trust.” Ties That Bind Are Forged by Love and Trust | Relationships Australia Queensland, Relationships Australia , 25 Nov. 2013, raq.org.au/blog/ties-bind-are-forged-love-and-trust 

M., Brooke Danielle. “6 Ways Parents Can Build Self-Esteem in Children.” LaunchPad Early Education, Launch Pad Early Education, 30 July 2021, launchpad-ee.com/self-esteem-in-children/ 

I really enjoyed writing about this certain topic because I can relate to it with my own family experiences. It was a broad subject, so multiple things could be taken from it. The peice was all together enjoyable to write.