Territorial Claims in the Arctic: An Environmental Controversy | Teen Ink

Territorial Claims in the Arctic: An Environmental Controversy

By anerip04 BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario
anerip04 BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario

"Women's rights is not only an abstraction, a cause; it is also a personal affair. It is not only about us; it is also about me and you. Just the two of us." - Toni Morrison

Introduction 
By the year 2035, all of the Arctic sea ice will have disappeared. Helicopters will be greeted by dark blue ocean water with no place to land. Narwhals, which are so eagerly hunted for their blubber, will be replaced by empty fishing nets and disappointed indigenous peoples. This is the future of the Arctic as the sea ice melts at an expeditious rate. If bordering countries are permitted to claim the Arctic waters, marine ecosystems will significantly deteriorate, escalating the intensity of current climate issues at hand and potential political disruptions may lead to unethical conflicts.  

The Environment in the Arctic
For a millennium, the Arctic ice formation has remained unaltered. The Arctic Ocean, in which the preponderance of the Arctic Sea ice is located, was formed thousands of years ago by the shifting of the Eurasian Plate toward the Pacific Plate. Although small in expanse, “it reaches depths of 3,200 feet and is connected to the Atlantic and Pacific [Oceans through the Northwest Passage and Northern Sea Route.]” Although there has been a variance in the ice and water content of the Arctic, it has been within an established range. However, recent temperature changes have made significant impacts on this ice-water content, increasing sea levels outstandingly.     

The Arctic’s most known advantage of environmental stability is the albedo effect. The albedo determines the amount of radiation that can be absorbed by the planet: the greater the albedo, the greater the absorption. High albedo results in returning more of the radiation to space, and cooling the planet. In ‘snow temperature feedback’, important in the Arctic, the albedo is significantly higher in snow-covered areas, causing the heat to be reflected. When this snow-covered area melts at an exponential rate, the albedo decreases, causing more meltage. Climate scientists’ biggest concern with global warming is the polar ice caps melting. As the ice caps melt, albedo will decrease, contributing to a positive feedback loop: this cycle intensifies climate change with the potential to cause significant disruption to everyday life. 

The Abundance of Resources in the Arctic
Despite low temperatures and uncertain climate, the Arctic offers abundant resources to its ecosystem and the world, such as minerals and animal resources. Mineral resources are found in oil and natural gas reserves, as well as an abundant supply of metals, to be mined or extracted. Fisheries are harvested from Arctic waters for commercial, artisanal, and recreational purposes. As the dependency on these resources increases, the pursuit of the Arctic’s assets has become more valuable than ever. 

Emissions and Exploration Leading to the Arctic Exploitation 
For over 500 years, “the Northwest Passage” has been sought by European explorers for a possible trading route to Asia. It was later discovered that the Inuits were aware of this route, and it was first sailed in the 20th century. During the industrial revolution, fuel-demanding ships were used for international trade and emissions increased drastically. With this newly earned capability to trade internationally, explorers were discovering unfamiliar parts of the world. This over-exploration eventually led to the over-exploitation of the Arctic, as seen through Imperialism present in the tragedy of the Commons; in which parties act according to personal interest. 

With growing emissions in the Arctic, marine life is at risk, harming all wildlife. Ice-free passages created for shipping routes intrigue killer whales and “it is not uncommon to see anywhere from 50 to 100 whales around a single vessel.” The combination of ocean contamination from polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), noise pollution, and fishing has led to significant damages in the Arctic whale population, leading to them becoming endangered. 

Moreover, the sudden industrial growth increased the atmosphere’s carbon dioxide concentration to 400 parts per million (ppm) from its original concentration of 200 ppm, increasing Earth’s temperature by 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit. Such an increase in temperature has caused extreme weather conditions, severe droughts and flooding, melting of permafrost, glaciers and snowpack, and decreased albedo. Offshore permafrost contains substantial amounts of methane, which is released by the defrosting ice, increasing greenhouse gases. The Greenland ice sheet, one of the largest of its kind, is melting rapidly, increasing sea levels by approximately 72 m³ each year. Resulting in warmer air, rising Arctic temperatures potentially increase water vapour. As heat is absorbed by large landmasses such as Canada, river water becomes warmer and forces warm water into the Arctic Ocean. Whether it is radiation being trapped or water temperature rising, the consequences of melting Arctic sea ice lead to additional ramifications.           

The Nations’ Interest: Arctic Ambitions
The Arctic region consists of numerous resources into which many countries are willing to invest their technology and research. Russia and China are countries looking to control the vast majority of resources the Arctic has to offer. As the majority of sea ice melts, waterways are becoming more accessible for countries to deploy their resources. 

Russia is determined to gain superiority in the North, made clear through its infrastructure development, such as icebreakers like the Ural. By creating new legislation in January 2020, the Russian government is allowing 300 billion dollars in “incentives for ports, factories, and oil and gas developments [in] the [waters of] the Arctic ocean.” Using the unoccupied Arctic land to its advantage, Russia has practiced military weapons and deployed soldiers and military bases. China has also stepped up in the race to sovereignty over the Arctic. Although “China owns no territory above latitude 66.50° N”, they believe they should be given equal rights to pursue further research within the Arctic region as “Beijing claims to be near the Arctic.” As part of Beijing’s effort to move away from coal dependence for power generation, it inaugurated the 3,000-kilometre-long natural gas pipeline which links both Russia and China. 

China and Russia show no signs of stopping their pursuit just yet. Over the next five years, Russia plans on investing 80 billion dollars in Arctic development, with a further 100 billion dollars expected over the next thirty years. This investment includes a fleet of nuclear-powered icebreakers similar to the Ural. China has begun planning the construction of a Polar Silk Road, referring to the shipping routes comprising the Northeast Passage, Northwest Passage, and Central Passage that cross the Arctic Circle and connect the three economic centers of North America, East Asia, and Western Europe. With a clear northern route, Russia can save 6000 kilometres of ship travel from barges headed for China, Japan, and other ports across the world. For countries able to capitalize, the Arctic offers substantial economic benefits. 

Environmental Ethics  
Although it is beneficial to the economy, Russia’s oil and gas interests have greater downsides. Increased activity in the Arctic circle harms Indigenous people living there. The Indigenous population has worked to preserve Arctic resources for many years. However, with nations gaining control, this protection system has diminished. Members of the Indigenous community have been displaced for the convenience of Russia’s northern expansion projects. With the rising production of technology, massive sulphur dioxide emissions are destroying floral and faunal life in the Arctic. Over the years, the Arctic has been kept safe from such emissions by the Indigenous people, who are now being denied access to a portion of the profits made from Russia’s advances. Nations are carelessly pursuing their interests and disregarding both Indigenous and environmental outcomes, further decreasing Arctic security.  

Drilling for oil and gas leads to a temperature rise in the Arctic, eventually leading to ice caps melting and an increase in water levels. Russia’s gas development plans do exactly that by setting up coal mines, which are met with opposition from scientists seeking to reach carbon neutrality. With countries looking forward to the exploitation of natural resources in the Arctic, they have begun to invest in their infrastructure. However, the drilling season in the Arctic only lasts a few summer months. As a result, companies have limited time to cap oil/gas leakages and drill relief wells. Since Arctic drilling has only recently begun, many risks and challenges will arise. During the 1989 oil incident that spilled 11 million gallons of oil, only 7% was recovered. Despite other developments, clean-up methods have not improved substantially. The risks of such projects are high and the chances for success are extremely low. 

The Future of the Arctic
With the environmental dangers ahead, how well the Arctic will cope with the increased human activity, territorial claims, and impacts on marine life is yet to be seen. But this potential damage is not the only option remaining. International land claims can nevertheless still be prohibited, decelerating the rapid ice melting rates. Much hope remains, although it is dwindling by the second, leaving the future of not only the Arctic but also the rest of the world, to be deemed an environmental controversy.

Works Cited

Arctic Natural Resources. (2017, August 22). Retrieved December 25, 2020, from oceaneconomics.org/arctic/NaturalResources/

Borunda, A. (2020, August 20). Arctic summer sea ice could disappear as early as 2035. Retrieved December 27, 2020, from nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/08/arctic-summer-sea-ice-could-be-gone-by-2035/

Briney, A. (2020, January 29). Explore the Geography, Climate, and Animals of the Arctic. Retrieved December 25, 2020, from thoughtco.com/geography-of-earths-arctic-region-1434938

Cain, F. (2015, December 25). Albedo Effect. Retrieved December 25, 2020, from universetoday.com/39937/albedo-effect/

CBC News. (2020, February 15). What Russia's $300B investment in Arctic oil and gas means for Canada. Retrieved December 29, 2020, from cbc.ca/news/canada/north/russian-arctic-oil-and-gas-explained-1.5462754

Dolan, S. (2019, November). Arctic Ambitions: Russia's Race to Control Northern Resources (1142670139 860128020 M. Elbaz, Ed.). Retrieved from media.curio.ca/filer_public/16/ba/16bacb52-f0d4-49d5-9eec-65473d5b4186/nir1911guidearcruss.pdf

Eisner, C. (2020, March 05). Arctic Exploitation May Harm Animals Large and Small. Retrieved December 29, 2020, from scientificamerican.com/article/arctic-exploitation-may-harm-animals-large-and-small/

Leonard, A. (2015, August 06). A Brief History of Arctic Exploitation. Retrieved December 29, 2020, from greenpeace.org/usa/a-brief-history-of-arctic-exploitation/

The New Internationalist. (2017, July 05). The Arctic climate. Retrieved December 25, 2020, from newint.org/features/2009/07/01/arctic-climate/

United States Environmental Protection Agency. (2017, January 19). Exxon Valdez Spill Profile. Retrieved December 29, 2020, from epa.gov/emergency-response/exxon-valdez-spill-profile

Wadhams, P., Robbins, J., & Gerrard, M. (2016, September 26). The Global Impacts of Rapidly Disappearing Arctic Sea Ice. Retrieved December 29, 2020, from e360.yale.edu/features/as_arctic_ocean_ice_disappears_global_climate_impacts_intensify_wadhams

Aneri is a 17-year-old female passionate about generating social impact and systemic change. She dedicates her work to bridging the social divides caused by class, gender, race and religion. This article is an argumentative piece written for her Advanced Placement Capstone program.