Cast Two Shadows Project | Teen Ink

Cast Two Shadows Project

By 23jenniferagoodine PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina
23jenniferagoodine PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina

Little Do You Know

Alex & Sierra

"Little do you know

How I’m breaking while you fall asleep

Little do you know

I’m still haunted by the memory

Little do you know

I’m trying to pick myself up piece by piece

Little do you know

I need a little more time

Underneath it all, I’m held captive by the hole inside

I’ve been holding back

For the fear that you might change your mind

I’m ready to forgive you but forgetting is a harder fight

Little do you know

I need a little more time

I'll wait, I'll wait

I love you like you've never felt the pain, I'll wait

I promise you don’t have to be afraid, I'll wait

The love you see right here stays so lay your head on me

Little do you know

I know you’re hurt while I'm sound asleep

Little do you know

All my mistakes are slowly drowning me

Little do you know

I’m trying to make it better piece by piece

Little do you know

I, I love you till the sun dies

I'll wait, just wait

I love you like I've never felt the pain, just wait

I love you like I’ve never been afraid, just wait

Our love we see right here stays so lay your head on me

I'll wait, I'll wait

Lay your head on me

So lay your head on me

'Cause little do you know

I love you till the sun dies."

Many songs in the world could probably describe Cast Two Shadows by Ann Rinaldi. The song I choose is Little Do You Know by Alex and Sierra. The reason I choose this song is that it connects with all the characters in the story. Some of the characters it describes are Miz Melindy, Mama Sarah, Johnny, and Caroline.

This lyric “How I’m breaking while you fall asleep” makes me think of Caroline. The reason for this is, “ It’s been lied about long enough. I’ll not lie any longer” (Rinaldi 131). Why keep lying about it when it's the truth who cares what people are going to say just you will have to live with that truth daily and just own up to your mistakes. The next lyric is, “ I’m still haunted by the memory” this lyric reminds me of Johnny. This lyric is just so painful just like how Johnny is going

to have to live with that scar on his back and is going to be haunted by the memory of the British wiping him.

Another lyric is “I’m trying to pick myself up piece by piece” this lyric reminds me of Mama Sarah and Miz Melindy. This reminds me of them because Miz Melindy must deal with her daughter having an affair with Mr. Whitaker and she must deal with her daughter and sister being sold off to a plantation in the West Indies. This lyric also reminds me of Mama Sarah because she has topic herself up by dealing with her husband in jail, her son in the war, and her daughter having dinner with Rawdon. This next lyric reminds me of Caroline in so many ways, “Underneath it all, I’m held captive by the hole inside.” This lyric makes me think of Caroline for all the pain she has gone through with her dad in jail, her real mother sold off to the west indies her half-brother Johnny hurt somewhere in the woods, and the pain of her friend kit of when he was hanged by the British.

This also reminds me of her because she always says he’s there hanging inside of her. This lyric reminds me of Mama Sarah, “ For the fear that you might change your mind.” this reminds me of her because throughout the book she makes me think she thinks if Caroline knew her real mother was alive and sold to the west indies she would try to find her. This lyric reminds me of Caroline, “I’m ready to forgive you but forgetting is a harder fight.” this reminds me of her because she is ready to forgive Mama Sarah and Mr. Whitaker but she knows in her heart it is going to be hard for her to forget what her grandmother Miz Melindy told her.

Miz Melindy, Mama Sarah, Johnny, and Caroline all remind me of this next song lyric, “I love you as you've never felt the pain, I'll wait. I promise you don’t have to be afraid, I'll wait. The love you see right here stays so lay your head on me.” This lyric reminds me of all of them because they all care about Caroline and each other but they have the true love of a family that makes them there to listen also throughout the book johnny listens to Caroline when she tells him stuff but it's also the other way around for when Johnny or Miz Melindy.

This next lyric reminds me of Miz Melindy, “I know you’re hurt while I'm sound asleep.” This reminds me of her because she knows Caroline is hurt when she tells her about real mother is alive. This next lyric reminds me of Mama Sarah, “I’m trying to make it better piece by piece.” This reminds me of her because she is trying to bring back their dad so he doesn’t get sent to the West Indies like the rest of the negras and patriots.