Plan. Adapt. Execute. | Teen Ink

Plan. Adapt. Execute.

October 27, 2021
By Anonymous

Looking at the runway on short final for the second time, I scan my instruments, 500 feet descent, two whites, two reds.  This is going well, now for the butter.  As I get over the runway threshold I start to put the plane into ground effect, power slowly to idle, parallel with the runway, the runway gets closer and closer to the tires, I slowly keep pulling back.  The plane jolts, rudder right slowly, the plane rolls down the runway as I push the carb heat in, flaps up, trim set.  

I punch the throttle, the engine roars to life as the plane speeds up, airspeed alive, 55 knots, rotate.  As I slowly pull the stick back I apply more rudder, the plane stays center to the runway, the plane slicing through the air as the engine roars and I am looking for birds. My flight instructor speaks up, “Great job, that was your best landing yet!” As I bank the plane to the right I respond.

Coming up onto the left base turn for runway 28 I hear on the radio, “N2476X, Clear for the option, runway 28.”

“Clear for the option, runway 28, N2476X.”  As I continue my approach I notice something on the windsock, it is blowing a different way. 

“N2476X, the wind is now 14, gusting 17 at 140, would you still want 28?” I could tell with the controls that the wind switched on me.  Before my instructor could say anything I respond, “If we could change to 18 that would be good.”

“76X turn left, join the base leg for 18, clear for the option.”

“Turn left and join base for 18, clear for the option on 18, 76X.”  I bring the stick left and join the base leg for 18 and crab into the wind.  Now let’s get this plane onto the ground, I get the plane to the correct altitude and get on the glide slope perfectly.  As we roll down the runway I realize I am putting a bit more pressure on the rudder pedal.

“76X, winds are now seven gusting nine at 160.”  I double-click the mic to acknowledge.  I punch the throttle again and the engine roars to life once again and I watch as the ground leaves the tires for the fourth time.  That is why I am excited to fly.

“Bryan, great job on that, that is what I am looking for before I allow you to solo, you adjusted perfectly and still managed to get the plane on the centerline even with the runway change, the wind pushing us, and us being a little fast due to the correction.”

“Thanks, I just knew to get the plane on the ground.”  We both chuckle as we continue pattern work and landings for the next few times.  

As the plane touches down for the last time, my instructor is relaxing while I am in control and I pull off onto a taxiway and then clean the plane up, “Waukesha Ground, N2476X, requesting taxi to south tie-downs.”

“N2476X taxi via Bravo Delta.”

“Taxi via Bravo Delta, N2476X.” I pull the plane into the parking spot and do the shutdown and secure checklist, Another flight lesson down, let’s go home.  I feel successful about the whole thing because it is a milestone in my starting pilot career.