Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

By 2barta BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2barta BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Saint Nicholas. A Christian bishop who helped the needy by giving gifts to them. He was known for his generosity and kindness because of the miracles he performed on the poor and the unhappy. His reputation and status were spread to all parts of Europe at his time and were soon known universally. Saint Nicholas is now commonly known as a legendary character called Santa Claus, who brings Christmas presents to children around the world.

This is where my name was derived from. My parents were deciding on a few saints to name me after. Eventually, they decided to name me after Saint Nick. Other than the biblical meaning, the full name “Nick Barta” means the "victory of the people", as well as my last name meaning “shining, brilliant". 

I feel like my name does not exactly represent how I am now, but I strive to represent my name later in life. I interpret the “victory of the people,” as being able to overcome adversity and defeat an antagonist. This can relate to me now as I do think that I am able to push through any setbacks. The real meaning of my name is somewhat trivial because it really comes back to Saint Nicholas. Generosity. Kindness. Consideration. These are the attributes that I was named after. Although I might have all of these traits now, I strive to be like Saint Nicholas in the future.