Knowledge is empowering | Teen Ink

Knowledge is empowering

By Emaan_zahra_ijaz GOLD, Sharjah, Other
Emaan_zahra_ijaz GOLD, Sharjah, Other

"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life"

Knowledge plays an extremely vital and powerful role in all spheres of human life and activity. It is a powerful factor that helps man to attain success, power and definitely, a position in life. Succeeding in doing anything without knowing anything is impossible. In summary, knowledge and human power are symbiotic.

It was once said that "brain is superior to brawn" and truly it is nothing but a fact. The reason we, humans, are the strongest amongst all the creatures living today is that we can think. It is through knowledge that we have gained mastery over nature. Once upon a time, humans were nothing better than apes, yet gradually civilisation dawned and the formation of modern human society was built and will keep further advancing which would only be possible due to the power of knowledge. All great inventions were the result of knowledge. Even development of advanced science , culture, art and civilisation all depends upon the brains and knowledge. I stress the word "knowledge" because nowadays, this is the one term that we keep ignoring.

"Hey, do you know how to tie a knot? I'm having a bit of trouble here." "Sure, lemme ask google, it'll only take a sec".We are now heavily relying on the internet and not thinking for ourselves. it's just like when a person drowns but the people around him walkaway thinking that someone else will help him out. Yes, we may have invented the internet to make our lives easier but now, the youth leans on google and other platforms. This is depleting creativity and creates distractions when it comes to either academics or religion. However, this is just one of the categories of having and not having knowledge because the other is no different. Those who believe to be smarter and better than others take knowledge as a tool of pride which is not necessarily a bad thing but if it means that the rest of the world is below yourself than yes. In today's generation, schools tutor students in order to get A*s and nothing else increasing the rate of competition between classmates and friends. The students who get the required grades though, from my observation, take pride in boasting and showing off without any limits and continue doing so the entire semester.

In short, Knowledge is a wonderful gift given to us by the grace of God Alhamdullilah, but once we turn it into an object to brag about and tear apart any trusting relationships due to our "High" standards, the meaning of knowledge can be different. My message which i hope to deliver across the world especially to the new generation of youth is to use the advancing technology not just to make your life comfortable but to find solutions to the problems the world keeps facing, like world hunger or cancer and not to leave it to scientists for later. Additionally, study with a developing interest and not just for the sake of grades because what your knowledge you might be gaining through studying for a class test, might actually help you out later in the future.

I have a keen interest in researching and writing regarding students lives as well as the troubles they face being students. As a high school student myself, it pains me to say that no matter how much we study or learn, it doesn't appear to be "knowledge" anymore. I have been inspired to write this article after watching multiple TEDx talks on how we think now vs how we used to think, on why students drop out of college pretty quickly , which my biology teacher at school provided me with some living proof. This is, once again, my opinion I'd like to share in the hopes that it may help someone.