Literary Analysis of The Epic Fail of Aruro Zamora | Teen Ink

Literary Analysis of The Epic Fail of Aruro Zamora

By nuhan BRONZE, Houston, Texas
nuhan BRONZE, Houston, Texas

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora written by Pablo Cartaya is a realistic fiction based around a cuban family and their restaurant, La Cocina de la Isla. Although, the family restaurant is threatened due to the arrival of a new land developer. The family worried, yet determined, works together to acquire the support of the community. The author, Pablo Cartaya, persuades the reader to support La Cocina de la Isla through the words and thoughts of character Arturo Zamora, attempting to create an effect of love to submerge the reader into a heartwarming narrative.

Furthermore, Arturo’s thoughts reveal information about other character’s as well as his personal encounters. When speaking on the topic of his abuela and the restaurant, Arturo states “Everything about La Cocina came back to family. When they came here, they felt like family too. That was how Abuela wanted it.”(Cartaya, 20) Revealing that Cartaya is attempting to create an environment of love and family. He seeks to attach the reader emotionally to the family prompting them to continue reading the story.

Likewise, Arturo’s deep affection for the restaurant is an effort to emphasize the importance of La Cocina. With his abuela in heart, Arturo stated, “My mission had never been to deliver a speech that would win our case. Instead what I delivered was Abuela’s eulogy.” (Cartaya, 225) Arturo expressed the need of La Cocina to the reader by reminding them about Abuela. La Cocina is prioritized by highlighting the history of Abuela to the community.
In addition, Arturo’s life and decisions helped set up the plot of the story. His personal encounters and stories intrigued the reader and initiated a tone of lightheartedness. After

admitting his feelings to Carmen, Arturo said, “Carmen had quietly rejected me...I liked a girl, and it totally backfired.”(Cartaya, 145-146) Arturo had confessed to Carmen that he liked her, yet unfortunately, she rejected him. Adding to more drama while still increasing empathy for Arturo. This sympathy will lead towards a bias towards Arturo due to the situation created around him.

In conclusion, Arturo has proven to contribute to the outcome of the book. His inner thoughts helped relate the reader to their own emotions. Many characters could have presented their thoughts, however, Arturo strengthens the bond among them all and the reader.