Bottled Water in the Middle School | Teen Ink

Bottled Water in the Middle School

On January 17, 2019, few students were seen walking up to the water dispenser in the Middle School cafeteria. This is because of the small cup size and that they cannot be transported easily.

Many students argue that middle schools should be selling bottled water in the cafeteria. During lunch, only about five people got up to get water out of the 100 in the cafeteria at that time.

One student said, “the water tastes gross, like broccoli.” Students say that selling water would be more convenient for them because they are bigger and easier to carry around the school. They also say that they would be more likely to drink more water. Talking with students they have expressed that this addition would be a positive addition to the cafeteria.

Hailey is a student in the third lunch, here is what she had to say about this idea. “I think this is a good idea because some people might not want to have to keep refilling their tiny water cups, water bottles are bigger and can hold more water.” Hailey also says, “Selling bottled water is a good idea because some kids don’t like milk or allergic to it, bottled water would give these kids something more to drink.” Not drinking enough water could eventually lead to dehydration which can affect kids in big ways.

Research shows that dehydration is a result of not drinking enough water, this can affect kids eyesight. It all goes back to the lunchroom scene. When kids drink out of the tiny, flimsy cups they are only drinking a few tablespoons of water. Not drinking enough water can affect kids eyesight which can affect their learning ability. This is a big issue which is why schools should be selling bottled water.

All in all, it would be an important addition to add bottled water to the cafeteria.