Teen Individuality | Teen Ink

Teen Individuality

By Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

A teen girl dares to wear a funky outfit to school that does not consist of skinny jeans, Uggs, or anything from Aeropostale. Her peers ask, 'What the heck are you wearing?', but she smiles and feels confident about her look. A 15-year-old boy who is quite popular and the captain of the basketball team has a secret passion for writing poetry. Even though his friends think poetry is nerdy, the boy continues to write his lyrical words and shares them with others. This girl and boy have something in common: they both show signs of individuality.

Being an individual is easy to want, but hard to attain. Teens nowadays only want to fit in, not to stand out. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines individuality as 'total character peculiar to and distinguishing an individual from others'. Being an individual is described as 'peculiar'. Not many people want to feel peculiar. They want to feel normal, just like everybody else. Individuality is a wonderful thing, though, that can only be accomplished by loving yourself.

'There's room for everybody on the planet to be creative and conscious if you are your own person. If you're trying to be like somebody else, then there isn't.' That quote was said by Tori Amos, and it is so true. There's no room on this earth for another lackadaisical Joe Schmo. When everybody wears the same clothes, has the same hairstyle, talks about the same things, and has the same beliefs, all the kids in the school hallway just blend together into one blob of boredom. That is why individuality is so important. No one wants to live a totally predictable life.

No one who hates themselves will be a true individual. If you dislike yourself, why on earth would you want others to dislike you for being diiferent? Someone who loves themselves and embraces their flaws will achieve being an individual. If you are confident about yourself, you can feel comfortable standing out. You can glow from within, as if saying to the world: Here I am! This is me, and I'm going to shine. You may not dress in popular clothes, you may not have the new iPhone, and you might be a huge geek that joined math club, but it's okay. You can be yourself without worrying about others. Who really gives a crap what they think? Most likely, they're jealous because they are not strong enough to be an individual.

Flaws should be seen as a blessing, not a curse. They remind us that we are all human, and not being good at something gives others who are good at it a chance to shine. There will always be some people who don't care to be different; who just conform every time a trend changes. But you don't have to be one of those people. You can stand out, feel proud, and be a true individual. Be peculiar and distinguish yourself from others. And always remember this: "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring." (Marilyn Monroe)

Caligurl310 said...
Caligurl310, Torrance, California
#Amazing #Thetruth I absolutely LOOOOVVEEDD this and it got me an A in english soo love it even more #Middleschool

Tallula77 PLATINUM, Sandhausen, Other

With shortness of breath, I'll explain the infinite- how rare and beautiful it is that we exist
By sleeping at last

Very good, finally someone speaks the truth. Trying to fit in and being the same as everyone else just isn't worth it. I see it at school everyday.

Snarky shark said...
looooooooooooooooooool made me cry :( #sad #sadface #upset #sharksgoloooooooooooooooool

jay villar said...
jay villar, Waterbury, Connecticut
Hi what is the author's last name? i am trying to cite this for my research but it doesnt sound correct to only have the first name... doesnt seem credible

I DO NOT AGREE WHATSOEVER SCOTTY BEAM ME UP

LittleDreamer BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
Great article. It's really hard to be yourself when everyone else is against it. I have been called 'freak', 'weirdo', since third grade and I still go through the 'name-calling' and teasing everyday. I often feel like nobody accepts me for who I am, that I don't belong anywhere and have no community of my own... it is upsetting, but yes, that doesn't break my spirit and I continue being myself - expressing myself through art, writing and poetry. I embrace my weirdness (as a matter of fact, you can see the words outcast and misfit in my "about me" section). Your article has made me feel so much better, thank you.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

This is a great article. I've only recently began to realize the extent of my individuality and how I should be proud of it. Ironically, I own stock in Abercrobie and Fitch, but don't buy their clothes. Thank you for writing this!

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

~Hans Hofmann
~Ray Bradbury

daretobedifferent19 GOLD, Danbury, Connecticut

"One person's craziness is another person's reality."-Tim Burton

was that really necesary?

shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how that feels, but now im learning to be myself and im not really afraid anymore.  Be proud of what you can do, like writing, and do what you want, dont worry about what anyone else thinks because they are in no place to judge! :]

jaymishae SILVER, Jonesboro, Arkansas

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

i love this article. some friends and i were just talking about this today and we were all saying how no one ever stands out. I think its awesome how you put yourself into your writing as well. it shows your individuality. some people are a boring blob when they write, but your not. like i said, loved it, and keep on writing.

KenyaLove41 GOLD, Dallas, Texas

"Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent." ~Ambrose Bierce
"Nothing is Impossible, the word itself says 'I'm Possible!'" ~ Audrey Hepburn
"Good writing is only bad writing revised"~ Unknown

i really like dis article, i think really says alot about too. i'm always a big fan of individuality but lately it's been hard to really be myself without feeling like some loser. i used to be really embrassed to tell people that i liked to write because they'd sometimes would look at me weird. Anyways, i hope that i can learn to express myself more:p

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

You are so inspiring! You gave me a shot of confidence, in my life. Thank you! You made your point beautifully! Keep writing!

nnc97 said...
This article pushed me to be more of myself, rather than to try and be like everybody else. I used to wear stuff like that "popular" girl, or i didnt wear what I wanted to wear because I felt like somebody would judge me. Now, I wear what I feel (that's appropriate of course). Whether it's a feather headband, or huge neon earrings. I express MY personality in my own way, regardless of what people say.

likeitmatters SILVER, New York, New York
Oh wow, I didnt read the whole thing and I just realized that you included that quote.... I feel so stupid right now :p

Madness is genius. Imperfection is beauty. And it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

- Marilyn Monroe

Your article reminded me of that qoute, I quite liked it <3

XmusicislifeX, Oaklyn, New Jersey

"Therapy is about every kid's nightmare. When people are telling you that you need to get help, but all you really want is a hug." - Alex Gaskarth

This article reminds me of me... I don't look like anyone else in my grade. I'm different(: anyways i really liked this.

Thank you very much! :)

amondal SILVER said...
amondal SILVER, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
i really enjoyed reading this! in 6th grade, i was OBSESSED with aeropostale....until one day my aunt told me i just looked like anybody else. i took that to mind, and realized she was right. i now wear my aero clothes to gym class or as pajamas, or as just a piece of cloth. the majority of my aero clothes are in the donation bin. as for UGGS, i wanted those too. you know the joke, they're UGGly. after doing a little bit of research on them, i found that they were made of animal skin and fur. i am totally against animal cruelty, so i never did try on uggs. anyway, this article was brilliant! i love how you described the 'one big blob of boredom' good job :)