Heroine | Teen Ink

Heroine

February 19, 2014
By Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
33 articles 2 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4


All the movies we watch have female leads in them. Most of the time, the females are portrayed as girls who always need a man to rely on; girls who can't help themselves. And this, I feel, is an insult. Every time I see a movie with a heroine, I think "Oh, good. Someone's finally realize that women can be strong too." But no, in the end they always need saving by some strong guy, and then they fall in love. And while this may not be the worst of endings (she finds a guy, right?!), it definatly bothers me.

I've spent years trying to prove that I can do anything a guy can do. And it bothers me when a guy feels the need to "come to my rescue". Because, just because I'm a girl, I can do things on my own. I'm sure it makes me seem a little prideful, but I'm tired of all the steryotypes. I'm not saying I'm going to deny help--if I need it, I'll take it. I'm just saying that we need to stop acting like girls can't do anything.

Hollywood has done a great job of steryotyping. Can you name one movie where the girl saves the guy? Harder than you thought, huh. Because, traditionally, guys are the head of the house. They are the protectors. Years ago, it was custom that the man help the woman, protect her, etc. But this is the 21st century! Girls are not incapable of opening a jar of peanut butter. Yet many movies/books portray it that way. And I roll my eyes every time.

Girls: don't rely on guys to help you with every little thing. I understand that they like to feel needed, but that's just making yourself seem dumber. The guys will start to think you can't do anything for yourself. And that's not a good thing.

Guys: while I appreciate that you offer help, you don't need to help with every little thing. It makes us feel useless. If it looks like we're struggling, offer to lend us a hand. If we refuse, back off. If we accept, don't rub it in our faces. That only makes the problem worse.
Now girls, one more thing. Go out and be your own hero.