Transitions | Teen Ink

Transitions

By eunice_ykim SILVER, Ridgefield, New Jersey
eunice_ykim SILVER, Ridgefield, New Jersey

In life, one must adapt to numerous changes as he transitions from one period in his life to another. When my family decided to move to a different town in 2005, I did not feel any different. Perhaps I was too young. When I graduated from middle and started freshman year, I did not feel any different. Perhaps it is because I had the same friends. And every year when I blow out my candles on my birthday, I do not feel or look any older. My whole life, I have been spoiled with a loving family, beautiful memories, and the best friends anyone could ever ask for. Having them always by my side, though I did have difficult times where I was forced to grow and adapt to grim circumstances, I was not prepared for my transition from sophomore to junior year. Next week will mark my fifth month as a junior and I could not be more excited. Though I am counting down the days to the last day of my junior year, I am thankful to have had this indescribable once-in-a-lifetime experience where I developed critical working habits, made new friendships, discarded unnecessary habits and, due to the constraint of time, realized who and what is important to me. I have learned to accept challenges, and that no matter what hinders me, I have a responsibility to put forth all my energy and best effort.

I think it so ironic that when I was younger, strangers would gasp at how much older I looked compared to my actual age, and relatives would call to ask if I was adjusting well to high school but now, I only hear remarks about how much younger I look than my actual age and have received no calls about my transition from grade ten to grade eleven though I consider it my greatest transition yet.

The irony about life