Gossip: Common Teenage Drug | Teen Ink

Gossip: Common Teenage Drug

May 30, 2008
By Anonymous

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Every day, we come to school, and we tend to say something unpleasant about another person. Yea, it's called gossip, and we all do it. We say something about someone in a negative way. I, personally, am a gossip addict.

I used to pik on this girl. We were revials all throughout elementary till some of junor high. I would say mean things behind her back, and she would do the same in return. Yet, not until 7th grade did we realize how mean we were to each other. Now, i guess we are pretty cool.

But, as i look back on it now, i waisted all my precious years being mean to her. When i could have been making a new, cool friend. Gossip is very contagious. Yet, so is laughs.

Adolescence gossip to either entertain their minds, or, worse, just see someone get hurt. We enjoy the feeling of being on top of someone else. We don't see how much we are hurting them, until it happens to ourselves.

It's pretty obvious that girls gossip more than guys. Girls want to use their words to impress or depress. Most girls these days use their words as weapons. Yet, when a guy hears that something was said about them, they just want to fight that person. They don't think about the consequences. What if that guy has a gun? What if they hit you?

Gossip effects everyone. At work, in the media, with family, with politics, and at school. It hurts someone on the inside, even though they dont show it on the outside. Maybe it's time to make a change. Lets have a great mind and discuss ideas. Rather, than putting someone down with our powerful words.