What Matters | Teen Ink

What Matters

April 1, 2008
By Anonymous

When someone is asked, “What matters to you the most?” their first response would probably be “My family”, or “My friends”, or even a hobby that they really enjoy. What matters to me the most? Sure, my family, friends, and hobbies all matter to me a lot, but my life is even bigger. Family, friends, and anything else important to a person are all a part of their life. So why ruin it with drugs and alcohol?

Wouldn’t it be terrible to have to hide things from your family? I love my family so much, but if I took drugs and alcohol, things would be different between us. Everyone knows that drugs and alcohol are addicting, so the more I took them, the less time I would be spending with my family. My mood would change and I might even say things to them that I would later regret. My appearance would also change, and then they would be questioning and worrying about me. Scaring my parents is the worst thing I could ever do.



My friends are also very important to me, and if I lost them, I don’t know what I would do. My friends love me the way I am, and if I took drugs and alcohol, I would change, so they wouldn’t want to hang out with me anymore. Things would come down really hard on me, just by losing my friends. I wouldn’t have people to rely on or comfort me, or even give me confidence. Life without friends would be so dull and pointless. Drugs and alcohol would only make my life miserable.
I love to act, sing, dance, play the piano, cheer, and hang out with my friends. These hobbies are what make my life interesting. What would I do if I didn’t have these hobbies? I would probably sit on the couch or sleep all day. That is what drug and alcohol addicts do. They lose their interest in their old hobbies because they started taking drugs. Life would be so boring if we didn’t have our special hobbies. Taking drugs and alcohol are just a waste of time.
My life is beautiful! I love my family and my friends. I love my hobbies, I love school, and I love just about everything about my life. If I took drugs and alcohol, those things could disappear in no time. I would be living in my own world of depression and gloom. Wouldn’t it be crazy to give up all of those wonderful things in my life just for that? I want to live a long and healthy life. Someday I will go to college. Someday I will graduate from college. Someday I will get a job. Someday I will get married. Someday I will have kids. Someday I will see my grandchildren. Then one day I will peacefully die, but not from drug and alcohol consumption. This is my life; what matters to me the most.