My Personal Anthem | Teen Ink

My Personal Anthem

October 24, 2007
By Anonymous

My Personal Anthem


Life is a challenge. Obstacles always block the path, and hardships find a way of squeezing into our hearts. Melodies ease the pain flowing from these wounds. It lifts my spirit and provides an outlet to pull away the bad things in life and focus on the good. The quote, “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life,” by Berthold Auerbach perfectly explains the significance of music in my life.
I am sure almost every person on this earth has had their fair share of difficulties. Like others, I have experienced the divorce of my parents, losing close friends, and the death of loved ones. The quote, “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life” explains that music acts as a distracter from moments of woe and worry. When I feel down, I pop an old Beatles tune into my dusty cassette player, the one with the stuck buttons, to lift my mood. The voices of Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison satiate my room and bounce from the walls into my ears and back again. Melodies seem to have vacuum-like qualities of draining all anger, anxiousness, and annoyance from my demeanor. Music keeps my mind positive, whether in times of crisis or not.
Many a time I find myself in a crawling lull at school – bored and tired – not of learning, but of sitting in the same seat, reviewing the same information, and controlled
Hill 2
by the same bell ringing at the same time each day. As I feel the drag of such sameness press upon me, music provides that escape I need to break away from the ordinary. The quote by Berthold Auerbach seems to explain that the fatigue and burnout created by everyday events is the “dust” that piles up in our lives. With too many volleyball games, long practices, a colossal tower of homework every day, and a normal night consisting of about five hours of sleep, the dust copiously piles into a horde of choking dust bunnies, hopping out of my control. Music constructs a barrier between me and this dust, so I am able to relax, and then eventually tackle such things as the ever growing stack of homework, chores, and missed time with friends.
Despite the let downs, drawbacks, and dolefulness encountered on each path and road taken, certain aspects of music uplift and drain away such encounters. Song has long been a huge part of my life, acting as my motivator whereas no outlet is available. It has pushed me past hard times and fortified the good. Without such music to keep me going, I could not live the assiduous life I lead.

This will certify that the above work is completely original: Jordan Kailey Hill