The Most Important Thing I Have Ever Learned | Teen Ink

The Most Important Thing I Have Ever Learned

The most important thing I have learned in my life is that life is too short to be sad all the time. Neither can you face life’s journey on your own. Of course I wouldn’t be saying that if it was a year ago.
My life started to slow down when I got to my 7th grade year. I thought that every day I was just living for no reason. I was always sad and never had any friends. My mom would always ask me why I never smiled. I couldn’t really give her an answer. I was scared to tell her that I didn’t have a reason to be happy, so I told her that she was wrong, and I did smile. I knew I was lying to myself, but I said it so many times it became real to me.
I felt like the worst kid a parent could have. I never tried out for any sports and I wasn’t involved with any clubs. I loved to sleep and listen to music in my room for hours. I was isolating myself from the world. I started to feel like no one cared about me. After all, I never had a conversation lasting for more than a few minutes, without it ending in an argument.
All my relationships started to fail. My parents seemed to get angrier at me. I felt like everyone hated me because I was sad. I wished I could be happier, but I really didn’t have a reason to. I started to feel comfortable being sad and I really didn’t want to go back to being my old self.
Things just went more down hill from there. People would come into my life and break me down. They would promise me the world, and then crush me so bad I could never pick up the pieces. I started to hate the world. I definitely didn’t want to have anybody in my life.
Then one day came when I finally realized what was going on. I knew if I kept living my life this way something bad was going to happen. I definitely didn’t want that. So, I thought of ways to get out of it. A lot of bad things came up that I tried and didn’t work. So, I finally remembered God. I thought I was very foolish for not realizing he was there all that time and I never thought of asking him for guidance.
I started praying everyday when ever I felt sad. I started going to church and listening to the preacher. One day I got saved and it was the best thing that had ever happened to me. I don’t think I would have ever needed a friend as long as I would have had God. He was the answer I was looking for all along. He got me out of that dark place and showed me what it was like to be happy. He showed me the way and gave me knowledge that is beyond my years.
Even to this day I still thank him for helping me out. I never would have made it on my own. I always ask him for help if I need it and if I don’t I ask for it anyways. He is a good Lord who loves to show his mercy and grace. He will help anyone who needs him, because he loves us all.
So if it is one thing I have learned in 14 years, it is that life is too short to be sad, and no matter what problem you have, you can’t handle it on your own. Don’t ever face something without asking for help. God is right there, and he always will be; just ask him.