What are the benefits of having greater female representation in leadership roles? | Teen Ink

What are the benefits of having greater female representation in leadership roles?

October 25, 2022
By AlexLin711 DIAMOND, Bristol, Connecticut
AlexLin711 DIAMOND, Bristol, Connecticut
58 articles 31 photos 0 comments

The stereotype that men are better leaders has lingered for tens of centuries. Even today, some people still believe that assertiveness, conviction, aggression, and self-direction are required for managerial roles, and those qualities are identical to the traditional ideal men’s traits. Meanwhile, although women aren’t banned from taking leadership roles by law, the conventional demands of leadership and femininity are conflicting. A soft-spoken, timid, obedient lady isn’t meant to be leading. Although it would be brutal to make leadership roles mandatory for either sex, having more female leaders in our society is the right way forward because it will inspire more women to stop underestimating themselves, and bring our world closer to the civilized ideal of gender equality.

When an increasing number of female role models in leadership positions stand out in our society, many women will realize that they shouldn’t omit leading from their potential life choices simply because they don’t believe they can be good at it and/or don’t wish to be considered unfeminine. The percentage of women senators in the U.S has increased by over 20% percent from the year 1966 to 2020. All of these women are well respected by both their colleagues and their partners. They have shown that women can lead the nation just as skillfully as their male peers, and that being a leader doesn’t prevent a female from being adored as a woman. Female leaders break the binary gender stereotype that has led generations of people to choose one way or another. Studies have found that female leaders are masters at applying both traditionally masculine and feminine traits flexibly depending on the situation. They present themselves on a medium ground that is powerful, not too aggressive, and not too soft at the same time. This finding should also encourage those reluctant women to recognize the gifts that they denied, and try living their life the fullest.

Moreover, having more female leaders will reinforce our founding fathers’ core value that all men are created equal, with men interpreted as humans here. As more female leaders have proved themselves through their political, economic, and cultural impact, the whole myth around women’s leading capability has started to fade. The U.S. ranked only 55th in World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Gender Gap Index in 2019. Three years later, it has moved up to 27th. A Business Week reporter writes, “After years of analyzing what makes leaders most effective and figuring out who's got the Right Stuff, management gurus now know how to boost the odds of getting a great executive: Hire a female.” Some contemporary leadership experts also make the point that women are better leaders, which reflects a major shift in ideology. The latest set of proven leadership qualities has dismissed the traditional masculine traits and emphasized the interpersonal duties that women are culturally trained to be more proficient at, including the ability to unite and collaborate, recognize people’s uniqueness, and give each member individualized attention.

Although there is still a significant gender gap in our society, we are willing to make an effort to reduce it. Having more excellent female representation in leadership roles will bring more women the confidence to embrace their reconstructed feminine identities, and take all of us onto the fast track to achieving gender equality.