Social Work! | Teen Ink

Social Work!

By BrainwaveTeenPsychology SILVER, New York City, New York
BrainwaveTeenPsychology SILVER, New York City, New York

What is Social Work?

Social work is a practice-based profession that promotes social change, development, cohesion and the empowerment of people and communities. Social work practice involves the understanding of human development, behavior and the social, economic and cultural institutions and interactions.

Who are Social Workers?

Social workers are professionals who aim to enhance overall well-being and help meet basic and complex needs of communities and people. Social workers work with many different populations and types of people, particularly focusing on those who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty.

Examples of Social Workers Jobs

★ ChildWelfareSocialWorkers
★ SchoolSocialWorkers
★ ProbationOfficers
★ Healthcare Workers: work in clinics, hospitals, & nursing homes

Social Workers' Personalities

Those who do perform social work help those in need, which means that they need to have specific personalities to be able to complete tasks. Although anyone can be a social worker and help people in any possible way, possessing the following skills will allow individuals to create a larger impact on people.

★ Empathetic ★ Dependable ★ Organized ★ Perceptive ★ Objective

★ Flexible ★ Resilient ★ Driven

Along with these traits, being open-minded is a big part of being a social worker. You want to be able to understand the person that you are dealing with, especially since you are doing this for them and not for yourself. Caring for others and taking actions for a good cause is a really important thing, which really requires one's time, patience, and attention.

Importance of Social Work

Social workers help relieve people's suffering, fight for social justice, and improve lives and communities. They support individuals and their families through difficult times and ensure that vulnerable people, including children and adults, are safeguarded from harm. Their role is to help improve outcomes in people's lives. They maintain
professional relationships and act as guides and advocates. They are there for support when people need it the most, providing them with someone to rely on and depend on and know that someone is there for them.

Reasons to Become a Social Worker

- Able to bring joy to other people's lives
- Spread happiness & joy
- Build on your own interpersonal skills
- Really understand the real-world

This is written by Aarushi J., a former intern here at our Brainwave Teen psychology organization. Our organization is run by high school students dedicated to educating our audiences about mental health and spreading awareness while trying to eliminate the stigma behind mental health. We want to share the articles that our departments write to other teenagers in hopes that they too will be inspired to speak up about mental health and share stories and invest their time in helping others.