Our Personality & The Psychology Behind It | Teen Ink

Our Personality & The Psychology Behind It

June 3, 2022
By BrainwaveTeenPsychology SILVER, New York City, New York
BrainwaveTeenPsychology SILVER, New York City, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving” (APA). More simply put: it’s us. Our personality is what makes us different from others and oftentimes determines our relationships with them as well. There are various theories on how our personality develops and what factors have influenced or continue to influence our personalities. The most popular theory is the “Big Five Theory”. This theory proposes that our personality is made up of five broad dimensions: agreeableness, consciousness, extraversion, neuroticism, and openness. The theory states that an individual’s personality will fall somewhere on the spectrum for each of these categories. For example: someone may be high in agreeableness, low in consciousness, mid in extroversion, low in neuroticism, and high in openness. Personally, what I think is so interesting about our personality, is the way that we test it. There are numerous “personality” tests out there on BuzzFeed, Quora, Google, etc. But, if you want to really dig deep and truly understand minuscule aspects of yourself, I would recommend taking the Myers Briggs (MBTI) Personality test and seeing which type you are. Gaining a better aspect of your personality can help you in many parts of your life. Relationships with friends, family, and even co-workers might improve when you become aware of the fact that you work well with others or need to make time to be alone. It’s also fun to see what celebrities have the same personalities as you and which celebrities have an “opposing” personality compared to yours. Though our personalities are constantly changing and developing, we still like to hold on to some aspects of it, because after all, it’s in our personalities to do exactly that.


The author's comments:

This is written by Siya Patel, Director of Webinar Management, in our Brainwave Teen psychology organization. Our organization is run by high school students dedicated to educating our audiences about mental health and spreading awareness while trying to eliminate the stigma behind mental health. We want to share the articles that our departments write to other teenagers in hopes that they too will be inspired to speak up about mental health and share stories and invest their time in helping others.