The rise of female TV show characters and its effect on stereotypes and gender consciousness | Teen Ink

The rise of female TV show characters and its effect on stereotypes and gender consciousness

By PATRICK13993 SILVER, Jiangsu Suzhou Kunshan, Other
PATRICK13993 SILVER, Jiangsu Suzhou Kunshan, Other

Under the influence of Covid-19, the Chinese TV show industry has bloomed in the past year. With the growing ratings, heroine-focused TV shows became the mainstream among many categories. The preference towards heroine shows reflects the desire of mass female viewers to seek freedom and equality in the society. Through analyzing the character setting of the three following popular heroine shows Ode to Joy, Nothing but Thirty, and Women in Beijing, we conclude that heroine shows often utilize the society’s common stereotypes to promote the plot line and sympathize with mass female audience.
This research paper uses the above TV shows as a starting point to make conclusions and come up with solutions by conducting online survey (no gender or age restrictions), along with a interview of a industry’s professional. This research paper also deeply investigates the current stereotypes existing in the Chinese society, on top of the effects heroine shows can have on the audience’s gender consciousness. We strive to offer plausible solutions to the following social issues: 1. How might the TV industry and mass media spread the correct gender consciousness message? 2. What can we do to minimize the stereotypes society attached to women?
Before conducting the research, we have designed a research plan and came up with three hypotheses (see 2.2). The survey result shows 97% of audience support heroine-like independent characters/women, 27% thinks heroine shows are weakening the impotence of male characters, and finally, 60% thinks heroine shows are actually enlarging female stereotypes. The interview with professional suggests that although TV shows do not directly influence social values, the discussion and thinking they spark in audiences can have some effects in the long run. It can’t be
2

denied that the popularity of heroine-focused shows are increasing the attention and consciousness of feminism in the Chinese society.