The Economic Implications of Assisted Suicide | Teen Ink

The Economic Implications of Assisted Suicide

By bri3rober SILVER, Denton, Texas
bri3rober SILVER, Denton, Texas

Euthanasia has become a significant topic of debate among citizens throughout the United States. It can be distinguished into three main categories: voluntary, when a patient desires euthanasia; involuntary, when a patient possesses the capacity to, but does not provide consent; and non-voluntary, when a patient is unable to issue consent. Associated with euthanasia is physician-assisted suicide, which is when a person self-administers a lethal substance prescribed by a physician, therefore fitting into the category of voluntary euthanasia. But in general terms, when a patient requests their life to be ended with the help of physicians, it is referred to as assisted suicide. While involuntary euthanasia is considered murder or manslaughter in all states, and non-voluntary euthanasia typically lies in the hands of the family of the patient or doctors, the legality voluntary euthanasia is widely disputed. In recent history, more than 175 legislative proposals regarding assisted suicide have been debated in thirty-five states; however, this push for legalization has resulted in only six states implementing laws in support of assisted suicide. This could be a result of many people having major concerns about these actions, including the major economic implications. It has been argued that ending the lives of patients can save money, because drugs need for voluntary euthanasia cost only around $100, while continuing medical treatments can costs thousands of dollars However, if legalized, euthanasia can contribute to many more deaths, which could have a grave economic impact in the United States. The research conducted regarding states that have already legalized euthanasia has led some researchers to believe that assisted death could be pursued due to the economic motivation by patients. Other argue that the there are no economic incentives associated with assisted suicide.

Patients may feel pressured to accept assisted suicide to save reduce the economic burden on their families. It can be assumed that there are other people in states that have legalized euthanasia that have experienced the same issues as Barbara Wagner, the lung cancer patient documented by Rita Marker. While Wagner waged a successful battle for continued treatment for her cancer, there are many others who are less fortunate. Some patients, lacking the economic means to fund their treatment, feel that their only viable choice is to accept the much cheaper option of assisted suicide. For example, research has found that “the mean cost for patients enrolled in this managed-care plan who died of breast cancer was $21,329…with about $9,500 spent in the last month of life.” Going through with assisted suicide may help to reduce medical expenses that would impact their estates and burden their families. However, a report from The Death with Dignity National Center quickly dismisses the economic influence, stating that "…to date, persons who have chosen to use the [Death with Dignity Law] have been well educated, have had excellent health care, have had good insurance, have had access to hospice and have been well supported financially, emotionally and physically.” But this Center is largely backed by Oregon representatives that support the legalization of voluntary euthanasia, so the information they provide could be biased.

The ongoing debate over the legalization of euthanasia involves complex economic issues. Some researchers assert that the legalization of voluntary euthanasia may have great economic effects in the United States, while others dismiss this idea altogether. These economic impacts could stretch from insurance companies, to health care providers, and to the patients themselves. Despite the divided opinions regarding the economics of assisted suicide, the push for legalization continues.