A Lifelong Commitment | Teen Ink

A Lifelong Commitment

I had been anticipating this moment for well over a year. I had fantasized about it many times and as my dreams about it progressed they became more and more vivid. I had heard other’s accounts of this event, and even read stories about it in magazines and books. But I also knew that everybody’s baptism is unique, so really I had no notion about what mine would be like. As I zipped up my gown and left the bathroom, I sent a silent prayer to God. I didn’t know much, but I knew that I was about to make the most crucial decision I have ever made in my life. I was about to be baptized.
As I tentatively descended the stairs to the baptistery the water sent a shiver down my spine. It was icy cold, and I spotted a couple bugs floating on the surface. The sharp fluorescent lights above me nearly blinded me. But I wouldn’t have cared if the water was frozen and engorged with insects, or even if I couldn’t see at all. I was getting baptized, and that was all that mattered.

I looked out into the auditorium and saw my mother fighting back tears, while my grandmother had already succumbed to her emotions. I scanned the rows for my friends Stu and Stephanie, and found them beaming at me ear to ear. I was the last of my circle of friends to become a Christian, and they were thrilled about that. Before today I just hadn’t felt ready, but now I was sure that I was. I knew that I believed in and loved Jesus with all my heart and I was ready to become part of His family. Finally, after I had grinned at my friends Abby and Casey, I looked up at our minister, Eric, and he began to speak.
“Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of The Living God?” he asked me, his strong voice resonating in the baptistery.
“Yes,” I replied.
“And that He came to Earth, died for your sins, and rose again from the dead?”
“Yes, I do,” I whispered.
“That confession brought death to Jesus, but will bring you eternal life with Him. I now baptize you in the name of Jesus Christ, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.” With that, he brought my trembling right hand to my nose. I held my breath as he baptized me, and when I emerged from the water, I was a new person.

I knew exactly what would happen next. The congregation applauded as I exited the baptistery. I dressed quickly, excited to get outside and visit with my new brothers and sisters in Christ. I whispered a short prayer to as I put my clothes back on, and when I got back to the auditorium, I was bombarded with congratulatory hugs. I must have hugged hundreds of people that day, from my best friends to members of the church that I barely knew. Even people that I had never seen before seemed to know who I was and want to wish me good luck. I would smile sweetly and thank them, and with every embrace I became surer that I had made the right choice.

I have no doubt that getting baptized was the most important think I have ever done or could ever. My baptism is a symbol to God, my peers, and myself that I have committed my life to Him. When I was baptized I died to myself and my own desires. I rose again with Jesus, and his Holy Spirit now thrives in of me. My baptism has changed me in the best of ways. This not mean that I’m never going to slip up, but what it does mean is that I am consistently making a conscious effort to live a Christian life and be right in God’s eyes. With every action, I stop and remember that day and ask myself if what I am about to do will be pleasing to God. Being a baptized Christian means a lot to me, and I will never regret my decision.

shorty said...
Getting baubtize is something nice you fell but you cant play around with it i read youre article and its a good thing that you got baubtize iam about to get baubtize but i dont know if iam ready what should i do?