Gay Marriage, Religion or Politics? | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage, Religion or Politics?

By shaylakassidy SILVER, Milton, Kentucky
shaylakassidy SILVER, Milton, Kentucky

what you see in the mirror is not you but one of two paths you can take. -Shayla Crumley 2010

Why gay marriage should be allowed.

People need to stop and ask themselves why it is exactly Kentucky doesn’t allow gay marriage. Many people say it goes against what both the Bible and God say about marriage. That marriage should be only between a man and a woman. But isn’t America a country where the church and state aren’t supposed to be influenced by each other? So everytime someone says they don’t support gay marriage because it goes against their religious beliefs, they are bringing religion into a political aspect. It shouldn’t matter if a marriage is between man and man, woman and woman, or a man and woman. Marriage should be because two people love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

Kentucky’s constitution defines marriage as a civil union between one man and one woman. But in 1973 a Lesbian couple went to the courts asking for a marriage license. Now at the time there was no law saying the a union between gay couples was unlawful, but yet the judge ruled against them denying them the right to be married. The marriage definition was passed years after the court case, then saying by law that it was illegal for gay couples to marry. The thing is though, the courts broke a couple of rules themselves. They didn’t allow a union between the lesbian couple even though there was no set in stone law saying they couldn’t be married. The courts discriminated against this couple and then used the marriage definition to cover their own butts.

Gay marriage isn’t any different for a straight marriage. Save the fact that it’s a man and man or a woman and woman. But ask yourselves this, why did you marry the person you’re with now? Most people will say it’s because they love that person. So why are you denying other people the right to be happy with their respective partners? It shouldn’t matter if you don’t respect their lifestyle or partner choices. What matters is that you respect them as a person and see them just as you would see yourself. Give them the chance to be happy like you had the chance to be.

I have one final point to make. What if it was your son or daughter that were in this situation? Some may disown their child because of their choice. Many others though would support their child and only want for them to be happy. But by not passing a bill for gay marriage in the house and senate you’re taking away their chance to be happy. Representatives are supposed to vote on what the people of their state want, not just themselves. That tells me that the majority of Kentucky are closed minded, prejudiced people and most likely that’s not going to change.

It’s not going to change until people stop thinking like their parents taught them. Leave Bibles and Sunday school teaching out of it and think for yourself. And if you are doing this for religious reasons do you really think God would be proud of you? Would God want you to hate other people, are make them unhappy? No, so take a step back and look at this from a gay person’s point of view, ask yourself how you would feel if this was you, or your child. If your mind still hasn’t changed that’s fine, but maybe it will. And maybe next time a bill for gay marriage get’s proposed to the house you’ll remember this little friendly article and do what you think is right. Not the Bible, not what was drilled in your head as a child by your parents, but you as an individual.

Sources:
"Gay Marriage in U.S." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 24 Mar. 2013. Web. 24 Mar. 2013.

shaylakassidy SILVER, Milton, Kentucky

I thank you for reading my article, and yeah I guess I did kinda call everyone narrow minded. I was just thinking more of people in my town, sorry if you found it offensive.

LakeSilencio SILVER, PRINCETON JUNCTION, New Jersey
I agree with the gist of what you're saying. The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is when you say that the majority of people in Kentucky are narrow-minded. You can't say that with only research on representatives as proof. That's making a sweeping generalization of people who make sweeping generalizations. Other than that, good job :)