Why not for all? | Teen Ink

Why not for all?

By Kayla_Guthrie GOLD, Philpot, Kentucky
Kayla_Guthrie GOLD, Philpot, Kentucky

every now and then there comes someone so unuaually unique that everyone normal wishes to be unique in the same excat way.
~stedival a character from the book the accidental hero by matt myklucsh
i'm not sure if this word for word correct

The biggest controversy lately is the subject of same-sex marriage. Is equality full and really for all in the US? On the subject of same-sex marriage that is. This issue is controversial because there many different outlooks on this. Recently there have been some states legalizing same-sex marriage. Some people applaud while some people thumbs down. Same-sex marriage should be legal because everyone deserves the same rights, happiness, and the benefits of marriage.

Homosexuals deserve the same rights as heterosexuals. They are people, along with American citizens. In the Constitution it says, “Equal rights for all…” Aren’t they part of “all”? Yes. We have the freedom of speech and the rights held within the people by the people; in other words our freedom of expression. They should feel free to express themselves, to tell the world who they love and what they believe. So, homosexuals should be able to exercise that right to wed the one that they love. There is also, “life, love, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” as said in the Declaration of Independence.

All people deserve happiness; Even those who we don’t agree with or typically like. To help make peace with both parties we should take a gradual approach, we all get what we want. “It is to become psychologically homeless. Which is why I think, the concept of ‘coming out’ is not quite right. It should really be called ‘coming home’” (Sullivan, 2). This will make homosexuals happier if they are accepted, that’s all humans want, acceptance. If we accept that they are different from most and treat them the way we want to be treated, then all is good. Along with the happiness of same-sex marriage, comes the benefits of marriage.

Once a couple is married they get different kinds of benefits. Just because you love someone of the same gender doesn’t mean you don’t deserve the privileges of marriage. When married you get medical coverage, pension rights, and legal benefits. Marriage gives you work and spousal health insurance eligibility, ensured financial continuity, social acceptance and support, and some states offer partner- benefit programs (Meezan and Rauch, 1).

Although, some critics would claim that same-sex marriage is unethical, when in actuality it is a matter of opinion and the happiness of others is more important than their discomfort around those different than them. In the near future, half or more than half of the United States will have same-sex marriage legalized. A solution that would benefit both sides of the argument is to call marriage a “union” instead. Is it moral to discriminate against others and to cause them to be segregated or is it moral to treat all people as you would want to be treated?
?
Works Cited
Meezan, William, and Jonathan Rauch. "Gay Marriage, Same-Sex Parenting, and America's Children." The Future of Children 15.2 (2005): 97-113. Print.
Sullivan, Andrew. "Why Gay Marriage Is Good for Straight America." NewsWeek 25 July 2011: n. pag. Print.

Good piece. I like how you didn't try to apologize for your position. Just saying, it should be (Sullivan 2) without a comma :)