Being Muslim | Teen Ink

Being Muslim MAG

By writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"You have to learn to love yourself before you learn to love others."

People are afraid of me.

Why are they afraid of me, you might ask? A rare disease? Hideous scars? Vile breath? I reply, with a smile on my face, that it puzzled me at first, too. But now I know. People think worse about me than that. Much worse. But I've learned. And I know that it isn't me. They're just scared of differences.

You know, I do have the freedom of religion. Created by of two clauses, granted by the First Amendment that says the government can't trump one religion over another. Equality, right? Okay, I guess most people get that. Or do they?

Well, the second clause allows people do whatever are the requirements of their religion. I would think most people got that, too, until terrorists from halfway across the world planned these horrible attacks that threw Americans into fear. I was scared, just like any other person might be. And suddenly, the translation of terrorists became Muslims. Because the terrorist group who planned the attacks was Muslim.

I mean, the whole nation wasn't hating. Just some people. I was five in 2001, but I still felt the discrimination. And there really wasn't any explicit reason for it. If I didn't wear it, then people would have probably ignored me. It was another way for them to label me. Now you'll ask me what that “it” is. And I'll tell you.

A hijab. Otherwise known as a headscarf or veil, and of course, the derogatory terms, like towel head, ­diaper head, turban, and whatnot. Whatever it's called, it has a very important place in my life. For some, it's a choice: Yeah, I'll wear it when it's the right time, or I'm getting to the age when I think I should. But those who do wear it are viewed as suppressed women forced to wear it because the sexist, fundamentalist men who rule their household say they must. Not true, people. Totally not true.

I'm a Muslim girl who was born and raised in Brooklyn. I'm turning 16 and starting my junior year in the fall. My parents are from Bangladesh. So, that's pretty much my bio. But there's a lot hiding behind that bio. The first thing people see is the Muslim part of me. Some of the stereotypes include that I don't speak English, don't know how to dress like an “American,” am a terrorist, and eat smelly foods. Well, the last one might be true. But other than that, stereotypes have degraded me to no end.

I'm a practicing Muslim. I pray five times a day, stick to the rules, fast when it's time, and wear my hijab. This is how my life as a teenager is led. (And possibly will be, depending on choices I make in the future.) And I can do all that because of the freedom granted by the First Amendment.

That brings me back to that question. Why are people scared of me? I'm as harmless as a fly, even though I may not look it without makeup. Honestly, I think people are not scared of Muslims as a whole. They are scared of ­differences.

I'm pretty sure all of us have met at least one Muslim who ­wasn't a terrorist. Hey, you're reading the work of a non-terrorist Muslim right now. And let me tell you something else – those terrorists made their interpretation of our sacred book, acted upon it, and live in a whole different hemisphere. So why put all Muslims in the same group?

People think that the ideals presented in Islam are very different from American ideals. Actually, they aren't. And let me tell you something else. Muslims are all different races. They have different backgrounds but share the same book and abide by its rules. And isn't that true for Americans too? And I'm not talking about the book-and-its-rules part here. This American I speak of isn't a race, but to some, it's simply one classification. People need to face the fact that America is made up of many different ethnicities and customs.

And it hurts me to see that even those in my community, who are so diverse, are prejudiced against me. Me, my religion, my hijab. And those are all my choices. The choices I made because I had the freedom. You can see that I'm not doing anything to hurt people.

You know, that may be the choice of those narrow-minded people, but I hope they change their minds. They have the freedom to befriend and understand – as I, among many other individuals – had the freedom to make my choice about religion. These choices can decide the future of generations. These choices affect everyone, because who knows when hatred among people accelerates into other actions? Making the right choice is not only about us, it's about everyone. The way someone thinks and the choices they make are so important.

Who knows what the future holds? I already made my choice. Now it's your turn.

I'm really tired of all the stereotypes surrounding different people and I want those very ignorant individuals out there to understand that there are differences in ideas that they are going to have to learn how to live with.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

Really really well written! It's so true - when it comes down to it, we're all split up because of our differences. Beliefs, race, appearance...real messed up. Awesome job, keep it up! :)

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Thanks so much for actually coming online to post a comment! Most people just read things and move on. Thanks again!

SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other

Can you feel what I have seen, when no one else has lived through what I have?-HalveOfLife

i luv this one i read it in the TI magazine :)

Read2Live said...
Shalom! Your writing speaks to a great universal truth and I appreciate your strength and courage to share it with the world. I, too, have a Book & following its rules are the foundation of my life. I am grateful for the opportunity to share this world with you & hope that those who read your story will be part of the change that makes room for all of us to live with respect & peace.

Thank you. This article has promoted me to go full time with my headscarf. Thank you.

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Thanks! I'm so happy that I was able to voice the opinions of others through my piece!

LunaLives GOLD said...
LunaLives GOLD, South Bend, Indiana

Because I can!-Me "Life is a choice and death is a decision"-Lil Wayne

I was in the same boat for a very long time. It's nice to finally see someone speak up.

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Thanks so much for your feedback!

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

I hate it when people discriminate against religion. That's just so ignorant and stupid. It really makes my blood boil. And it also takes a lot of strength and patience to not react to the bullying.

purplezebra712 SILVER, McCalla, Alabama

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." Eleanor Roosevelt

This is a very powerful peice. it was very well written, and adressed an improtant issue.

hzavery said...
Thank GOD someone finally wrote this! I used to wear a hijab, but because of ppl bullying me and calling me a terrorist, I stopped wearing it. im glad you posted  this, well written

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

It's great to know that someone can understand me! ;D

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Thank you so much! ;P

juneday GOLD said...
juneday GOLD, Barrington, Rhode Island
This is a very impassioned article...I can really feel your outrage.

My_Precocious BRONZE, O&#39Fallon, Missouri

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Keep up the strength. Subhanallah. -a proud Muslim

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Thanks! Walaikum Assalam ;P

.king. SILVER said...
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

I agree, I greatly enjoyed this inspiring massage and thank you for your courage in speaking out for the Muslim nations'  rights! Asalaamu 3alaikum :D

.king. SILVER said...

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Thank you so much!!!

Someone2know BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Dont let your insecurities ruin the beauty you were born with.(:

This is Beautiful.. Great job :)