Yes! I Am Mexican | Teen Ink

Yes! I Am Mexican MAG

By Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina
Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

“Yes, I am Mexican,” I often find myself explaining to my peers and other people I meet. Time after time, I encounter people who ask me, “What are you?” I respond to them, “I am Mexican.”

“You’re Mexican?” They ask me once again.

“Yes, I am Mexican,” I respond. And they give me this look.

I am not afraid to say that I am Mexican because it is who I am. It’s my culture, it’s my heritage, it’s my race, it’s what makes me be me. My ancestors sacrificed themselves so that I could be here today. They gave me my skin color, they gave me my roots, they gave me each little part of the person I am today, and I am not going to throw that precious gift away. Every day, we are the target of discrimination, whether it be from other students or from high-profile people like Donald Trump. I am proud to say that I am Mexican, regardless of the hardships that I face. People make nasty jokes about my race and think that it doesn’t hurt my feelings. But, it does. It hurts like a gruesome stab to the stomach. They think only they have a right to dream.

But, guess what? Being Mexican makes me proud. Mexico is a land of dreamers, inventors, writers, engineers, artists, and all sorts of people who enrich the world. It is the place where Guillermo del Toro, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Chicharito, and Carlos Slim come from. Mexico is a beautiful place where we celebrate the lives of our loved ones on the Day of the Dead. Mexico is the place where we scream and shout and holler for happiness when our players score in the most beautiful sport on the face of our planet: soccer. It is where our lungs nearly burst every time we sing our beautiful national anthem. It is the place where we laugh and cry to our heart’s desire without being told that we don’t belong there. Mexico is the place where we live out the movie “Coco,” a tribute to our unique culture. We are this and much, much more. We are not criminals, rapists, or drug dealers. We don’t come here to take anyone’s jobs; we only take the vacant jobs. We are hard workers, dreamers, and a part of the future of the United States. It does not pain me to say that I am Mexican. I could shout it a million times, two million times, no, three million times, and never get tired.

“I am Mexican, I am Mexican, I am Mexican.

Yes, I AM MEXICAN!”

I often feel discriminated because of the rude things people say about us. We are not anything that Trump labels us as. This is my real story... this is our real story. You be the judge and decide what to think of us. Just remember that we all have one thing in common: the desire to succeed and have a better life than the life we already have.