Labels | Teen Ink

Labels

July 27, 2018
By Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York
Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York
92 articles 7 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
Truth has many shades. It's not a matter of black and white, but many grays.


I'd like to say that our society is just a label maker. Youre born and your first label is printed and stuck to you. And with this label you are judged, forced into certain roles in society and even discriminated against. 

Your doctor prints the label and gives you only two options: male or female. And you must abide by your label and what society says you need to do with that label.

But what if someone was mislabeled? 

Think of it this way; what if I put a peanut butter label on a can of tuna? Is that can of tuna now a jar of peanut butter? 

I dont think so. It is still a can of tuna. And there is a point to my seemingly insane ramblings! Theres a secrey behind all of these labels that society has been sticking you with. And once you know it you will be able to breathe a breath of fresh air.

People are not objects. People are different in many ways. They come in all shapes, sizes, weights, nationalities, sexualities, and capabilities. They cannot conform to a single standard. 

You are going to be labeled by everyone that you cross paths with. It is up to you to wear their labels or let them fall off. The only labels that define you are the ones that you print out and display proudly. 

There are many labels that I could wear such as gay, nerd, and obsessive but I don't. The only one that fits me is human.

So what are you going to do with your labels? Will you gladly accept the ones given to you by society? Or will you blaze a new path and buy your own printer?