Good-Bye, Teen Ink | Teen Ink

Good-Bye, Teen Ink MAG

By Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

On a particularly boring day in 2012, I decided to Google “teen, writing, publish.” Several links appeared, but one caught my eye: “Teen Ink: A teen literary magazine.”
The website was vibrant with articles and artwork; some even had a brilliant shining medal next to them meaning they were the best of the best. It was a little intimidating, but I decided to submit a poem and a story.

Later, I found out the story had been rejected, but the poem had been published! I was dumbfounded. They chose to publish me? Sure enough, the yellow “MAG” tag shined right beside my poem. Extremely pleased, I submitted more articles and spent more time on the website.

The TI forums – one of the best places for teens to hang out on the Internet – became my online home. Teens talked about things from the newest novel-turned-movie, to the subjectivity of truth, to the futility of existence. I made dear friends and spent years in the threads.

So here I am – 57 months, 1 day, 16 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds later (says the TI counter), aging out of Teen Ink and saying good-bye. I will miss the way Teen Ink made me feel like I belonged, but I will always cherish it.

I wish you all, my readers and Teen Ink, the very best for the future.

(I'm sorry I didn't have enough time to edit this through)

Thanks for clicking on the article, by the way!

Please feel free to read the first poem that got published, and the poem to the editor, hehe.

Also, readers, I seriously recommend doing a bit of digging on the site. You might be surprised with what you find. The forums are awesome, too.

Some of the writers I remember, who inspired me here, are 'Jade.I.Am', 'McKay', 'Claire.M.', and many others. If only I could thank them somehow! I would also like to thank all the friends who took time out of their lives to read and comment on my works, Seriously, you guys are the best!

I see the 'Get Money For College' link has been removed. Not sure how I feel about that haha.

Enjoy, dearest readers!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

Thank you, @WolfWhisperer0911 ! I wish you the same.

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@Ray--yo Bye! I hope you continue your writing and never stop being awesome!

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

Aw! <3 Let's do our best to keep in touch at least occasionally in comments! I'd likewise love to read more of your writing!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

Having a reader as great as you was a huge reason why teen ink was so special. I couldn't thank you enough. If you ever start a blog, please leave a link. I don't want this to be the last conversation we have. Stay happy. Thank you!

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

Oh no! I'll miss you tons. I guess my time on Teen Ink is also wrapping up as I approach my 20th birthday, but it breaks my heart to think you won't be writing here and I won't be reading your writing anymore. Thanks for the beautiful writing and thoughtful comments on my work through the years (even though I completely disappeared at some point). You've inspired me more than you can know!