Feedback on It's Not Your Illlness | Teen Ink

Feedback on It's Not Your Illlness

November 6, 2014
By rjld12 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York, New York
rjld12 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York, New York
17 articles 0 photos 6 comments

"It's Not Your Illness" by Cara is her description of the experiences she had to face involving anorexia. The article is focussed around the brother of the author and his anorexia. She says how she barely noticed anorexia gradually taking control of her brother's entire life. He would refuse to eat and his parents would have to try to get him to eat. Finally her brother needed to go to adolescent mental health unit. "It's Not Your Illness" is a chilling, but well written peice that conveys a lot of the emotional pain felt by someone who a has. A family member with anorexia.
  The author of "It's Not Your Illness" effectively shares some of the burden that she experienced involving her brother having anorexia and the ignorance others have of anorexia. With lines like "He would dig holes in his skin with his fingernails when my parents tried to make him eat" the reader vicariously feels the terrible sadness the author had to deal with. I honestly was not fully aware as to the reality of anorexia. The author truely captured it in saying "Gaining weight meant he had failed the demands anorexia were making on him." "It's Not Your Illness" perfectly describes the destruction to lives that anorexia causes.