Feedback on "Secondhand Insecurity" by Allison ives | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Secondhand Insecurity" by Allison ives

October 13, 2014
By GG_LeBode PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
GG_LeBode PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
26 articles 0 photos 18 comments

“Secondhand Insecurity” by Allison Ives describes the bullying and poor self image that can be inflicted on people by others who experience their own inner struggles. She reflects on how this type of “secondhand insecurity” is not addressed as seriously as normal bullying or second hand smoking or preservatives. The piece uses secondhand smoke as a metaphor for this type of insecurity. This article brought the severity of secondhand insecurity into the light.
I appreciated how the author saw those who experienced secondhand insecurity as abnormal, unfair, and socially unacceptable. Allison Ives uses a connection to secondhand smoking to explain why the problem really matters. As a reader, I felt connected to her when she shared her own experience, and I felt she spoke truth to the topic. The author re-enforces her point with and example that gives you sympathy towards the victims: “ A teenage girl who bullies her friend for being naturally tan is seen as normal, but the friend who stands up is overly sensitive.” This piece brought to mind an issue that has previously been neglected.