Feedback on "Secondhand Insecurity" by Allison ives | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Secondhand Insecurity" by Allison ives

By GG_LeBode PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
GG_LeBode PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

“Secondhand Insecurity” by Allison Ives describes the bullying and poor self image that can be inflicted on people by others who experience their own inner struggles. She reflects on how this type of “secondhand insecurity” is not addressed as seriously as normal bullying or second hand smoking or preservatives. The piece uses secondhand smoke as a metaphor for this type of insecurity. This article brought the severity of secondhand insecurity into the light.
I appreciated how the author saw those who experienced secondhand insecurity as abnormal, unfair, and socially unacceptable. Allison Ives uses a connection to secondhand smoking to explain why the problem really matters. As a reader, I felt connected to her when she shared her own experience, and I felt she spoke truth to the topic. The author re-enforces her point with and example that gives you sympathy towards the victims: “ A teenage girl who bullies her friend for being naturally tan is seen as normal, but the friend who stands up is overly sensitive.” This piece brought to mind an issue that has previously been neglected.

LuluHRH GOLD said...
LuluHRH GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff." --The 10th Doctor (David Tennant), Doctor Who

This was wonderful! I think you really helped us readers understand your connection to the story and how the author made you think about a serious problem that you might not have thought about before.