Feedback on Pine Street Inn | Teen Ink

Feedback on Pine Street Inn

October 8, 2014
By rjld12 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York, New York
rjld12 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York, New York
17 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Pine Street Inn by Tess Ross Callahan is about the experience a teenage girl had visiting a local homless shelter. The other describes and truely captivates the sad state of the shelter. She says how every bed is the same in its poor codition. The author describes how odd it was how normal the people living in the shelter seemed. She points out how even though the men who live in the shelter have food clothes and housing they are not given a personality or identity. The inhabitans of the shelter are reffered to by numbers instead of names. Pine Street Inn was a moving and intriguing piece that changed the way i thought about my life and conditions.
After reading Pine Street Inn I thought aabout how different my life was from that of the people living in the homeless shelter. As the other brought up it had never previously ocured to me that people needed more then food shelter and clothes. If faced with choosing between having a personality or having mt basc needs i would choose to be an indivual. The rason i would choose this is because an identity gives you dignity whih is more important to me than a plain blue matress. Like Tess Ross Callahan said "A cardboard box with a blanket, as unwelcoming and dismal as it is, still seems like more of a home than an open outhed ceiling and an assembly line of beds." This quote showed me that something can be housing, but not a personal home. Pine Street in made me revaluate my life and realize that the freedom to be an indivual is not universal.