Hands of a Writer | Teen Ink

Hands of a Writer MAG

By Hollypaw18 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Hollypaw18 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Everyone is different, it's the natural state- it's the facts, it's plain to see. The world's gray enough without making it worse. What we need is individuality!"
- Billy Elliot's "Expressing Yourself"

Poetic. Inspiring. Funny. Personal. Intriguing. That describes “Hands of a Writer” by Jordyn S. in five words. She makes you think about how astounding the world is and how God created everything on this earth – from us to the vast oceans to the twinkling night sky.

Jordyn discusses writing notes and quick drafts on random pieces of paper at odd times, “jotting down [her] soul.” When you write, you create. You were created to write. That’s my interpretation of this poem. It might sound confusing, but really, it’s true. Many of us are so devoted to writing that thoughts stream in and out of our minds haphazardly and we can only hope to capture them on that stray scrap paper before the idea is gone.

Did you know that J.K. Rowling wrote the first drafts of Harry Potter on napkins in a restaurant? J.R.R. Tolkien wrote the first sentence of The Hobbit on the back of a student’s paper he was grading. These amazing writers were created by the same hands that made us. Mind-boggling, right?

Jordyn’s concise language leaves you wanting more, yet satisfied at the same time. I really enjoyed and related to her poem. I hope that I’ll be reading more of her work in future Teen Ink issues, whether she sticks to poetry or not.