Blackened Waters | Teen Ink

Blackened Waters MAG

November 29, 2010
By Hollypaw18 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Hollypaw18 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
16 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everyone is different, it's the natural state- it's the facts, it's plain to see. The world's gray enough without making it worse. What we need is individuality!"
- Billy Elliot's "Expressing Yourself"


“Blackened Waters” by Dackary Saig smothered me with its amazing construction and phrasing. This poem really made me think, What's wrong with us? Why have we done something so terrible to our environment? I know this sounds extremely negative, but it's true. We need to pay attention to what we are doing to the world. We are the monsters that Dackary mentions with “the slick, thick grasp.” It's our pollution, so we must take care of it. We have to help, even if it “wasn't our fault” or “they did it, not us!”

Dackary's poem is far deeper than it appears, actually. If you look closely, there's a hidden meaning pushing you to do good. While describing the oceans currently and in the past, Dackary's poem is influencing us to help the environment. And it succeeds. Its moderately creepy, saddening vocabulary almost burns a hole in your heart if you don't try to do something about everything that is being chucked into our oceans, even if it is simply not throwing something in yourself.

Dackary's piece is inspirational and wellwritten. We must all take up this cause. Show others this poem. Influence your friends to ­recycle. Do whatever you can to save our planet. After all, we are the monsters.