Close, But No Cigar | Teen Ink

Close, But No Cigar MAG

By Anonymous

     Sorry, Justin Williams, but your article “Close, But No Cigar” lived up to its title. Although you may be a perfectly fine human being, you come across as a whiny child. I’m sorry you were three days too young to vote, but I have no sympathy. Since I am an entire year younger than my friends (I started kindergarten early), I will be standing by while they vote, too. It wouldn’t make much of a difference for you personally if the voting age were 16 when you were 16. You probably would have been begging for an even younger age.

As for your point that a lower voting age would bring more people to the polls: that may be true, but it doesn’t matter. It’s the percentage of those compared to those who are eligible that really matters. We don’t need more eligible voters, we need more people fulfilling their responsibilities. I do not believe that 16-year-olds are more interested in “having a say” than 18-year-olds.

In fact, the actual voting act is not that important. If you want to make a difference that badly, you can volunteer for the candidate you support and help get the vote out. Take advantage of all the opportunities you have to help instead of whining about the one you missed out on.

More Feedback




   

Close, But No CigarSend your work

Email a Friend

Bulletin Board

More Feedback

TopRightExtra.jpeg
Extra160.jpeg
Extra160bot.jpeg

Copyright 2006 by Teen Ink, The 21st Century and The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Thispublication may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system ortransmitted in any form or by any means,
without the writtenpermission of the publisher: The Young Authors Foundation, Inc.
Editor@TeenInk.com      Privacy Policy      About Us      Site Index      Home