System Overload | Teen Ink

System Overload MAG

David T.'s article, "System Overload," in the Opinion section was very interesting. I agree and applaud him for addressing this issue.

The article opens with a quote by Clifford Stoll: "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?" The answer is that drugs and computer technology are both forms of addiction. They both affect your thinking but drugs can kill you faster. While a computer can provide an almost unlimited supply of knowledge, it can also make you very dependent on it.

The speed with which we process information today affects how we think. For example, when I see something in a store I really want (or think I really want), I am caught between "I want it" and "Why do I want it?" Moreover, "Do I want to wait to buy this thing?" We all want newer, bigger, faster toys, like computers, cars, cell phones, etc., and we want these things not today, but yesterday!

This article opened my eyes to the growing problem of shortened attention spans and perception for the need of bigger and faster equipment. I would like to see more articles about how technology changes our lives - sometimes for the better, but sometimes for the worse.