Feedback On “Riley Avery’s Life Through Her Author Bios” | Teen Ink

Feedback On “Riley Avery’s Life Through Her Author Bios”

By eileenlilin SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
eileenlilin SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

blackpink in your areaa

In the November Issue of 2018, Betsy Jenifer Of India had been published through her unique and heartwarming fiction piece, “Riley Avery’s Life Through Her Author Bios.” The writing consists of ten short and sweet author bios, each portraying the time she had as a writer from being sixteen to fifty-two. The simple plot line is very easy to follow, as it unwinds in an emotional chronological flow. Jenifer took quite an interesting approach and executed it wonderfully, spinning a tale of every facet of Avery’s life, from success to suicide.

One of the most admirable factors of this piece is the emotional aspect, and how the creative formatting amplifies this emotion through pure simplicity. The first nine mini-biographies are refreshing and lighthearted, carrying a casual tone until the tenth bio, when the author hits you with the “discovered to have committed suicide last month.” Unlike the other bios that touch on fun, personal information, the last paragraph, with Avery dead, reads almost as a bland news report. This sudden shift made my perspective on this story do a complete 180, elevating it to one of my most favorite quick yet tragic reads.